9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2017 6:06 PM by Bill Robinson

Java Errors After Upgrade

Edwin Lindeman
      Share This:

Hey guys

We just upgraded from BSA 8.7 to BSA 8.9 and the upgrade was successful. However after the upgrade we've been seeing some unusual errors coming back that I haven't seen in the past. Example below is an error from a NSH Script attempting to send out an email.

Error 08/30/2017 05:02:38 Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Error connecting to server -<servername>. Please check if BLCIServerService is up and running.

I tried doing some research on the BLCIServerService but not much turned up.

Any thoughts on this is appreciated.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
          Bill Robinson

Blcli server is a new feature added in 8.9, it’s in the ‘what’s new’.

There’s a blasadmin setting like ‘enableblcliserver’ – true means it’s on.

What version of 8.9 – 8.9.00 or 8.9.01 ?

Can you include the entire job run log and appserver log from the appserver that ran the wit for the job ?

What type of instance is this – job, all ?  is the appsvcurl set ? to what ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
            Edwin Lindeman

hi Bill

Attached is the appserver log.

here is log entry from Target:

Error 08/30/2017 05:02:38 at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CLIClient.executeEmbeddedShellCommand(CLIClient.java:234)

Error 08/30/2017 05:02:38 Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Error connecting to server -<applicationservername>. Please check if BLCIServerService is up and running.

Info 08/30/2017 05:02:38 Exit Code 1

Export of the Job Run:

Job Name,senddata_nshscriptjob - senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25

Start Time,08/30/2017 05:02:25

End Time,08/30/2017 05:02:41

Status,Completed with Errors

Participant,Type,Date,Message

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:25,"JobRun Log Settings: JobRun Limit = 1000000, Per Target Log Limit = 1000, Per Target Log Level = AllInfo"

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:25,"Started running the job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' with priority 'NORMAL' on application server '<applicationservername>-js4'(2,004,700)"

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:32,Executing work item NSH Script Job:senddata_nshscriptjob; Server:<target_name>;  on application server: <applicationservername>-js1

<target_name>,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:38,Exit Code 1

<target_name>,Error,08/30/2017 05:02:38,Exception in thread "main" java.lang.Exception: Error connecting to server -<applicationservername>. Please check if BLCIServerService is up and running.

<target_name>,Error,08/30/2017 05:02:38,at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CLIClient.executeEmbeddedShellCommand(CLIClient.java:234)

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:41,Execution Override not enabled for job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' .

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:41,Full path to job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' : 'Jobs/Team Folders/Solaris Team/NSH Script Jobs'

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:41,Job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' scheduled Daily at Wed Aug 30 05:00:00 CDT 2017 local appserver time using the Central Standard Time timezone.

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:41,Job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' was scheduled via job schedule by User:Role 'plinde01@EDC.DS1.USDA.GOV':'BLAdmins'.

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Info,08/30/2017 05:02:41,Debug mode is not enabled for job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' .

senddata_nshscriptjob Run at 08/30/2017 05:02:25,Error,08/30/2017 05:02:41,The job 'senddata_nshscriptjob' has failed

• 3. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
              Edwin Lindeman

and to answer your last question. Appserviceurl is blank. Thank you

• 4. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                Edwin Lindeman

Hi Bill

Just talked to our BSA Admin and by default its turned off. We're going to turn it on to see if that makes a difference?  He also mentioned that BMC recommends keeping it off? We're the referring prior to SP 1?

Best Regards

• 5. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                  Bill Robinson

There are a couple defects in it for 8.9.00 and 8.9.01 so if you are running those versions you should leave it off.  those are fixed in HF2 for 8.9.01.

I would make sure it’s set to ‘false’ on all instances – i’ve seen that error happen if it gets set to true while the appserver is running and not restarted i think.

• 6. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                    Edwin Lindeman

thanks for the information Bill.

Here is the weird thing and maybe it makes sense to you.

So the application server that was executing the wit was already enabled.  In this particular scenario our target was also an app server and that target (appserver) had this set to false. We enabled this to true as well and restarted the server and now the job completes without error.

Interesting.

Thanks again for your help Bill!

• 7. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                      Bill Robinson

So the application server that was executing the wit was already enabled.

but had the appserver service been started since the value was set to true ?

In this particular scenario our target was also an app server and that target (appserver) had this set to false.

target of the job won't matter here. i mean, think it through - if you target a normal server that doesn't have the appserver services on it.

We enabled this to true as well and restarted the server and now the job completes without error.

did you only restart the 'target' appserver?  which appserver picked up the WIT this time ?

• 8. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                        Edwin Lindeman

So the application server that was executing the wit was already enabled. but had the appserver service been started since the value was set to true ?

Not only did the service restart we actually restarted the server. Even after the restart it still wasn't working.

In this particular scenario our target was also an app server and that target (appserver) had this set to false. target of the job won't matter here. i mean, think it through - if you target a normal server that doesn't have the appserver services on it. That was my thoughts as well.

We enabled this to true as well and restarted the server and now the job completes without error. did you only restart the 'target' appserver?  which appserver picked up the WIT this time ? After I enabled it on the 'target'(appserver) for the sake of restarting I restarted both servers (restarting the executing appserver again). Same server picked up the WIT. Maybe after the first restart it didn't pick up the settings?  Is there a timing thing?  something cached?

• 9. Re: Java Errors After Upgrade
                          Bill Robinson

i think we've seen the same error pop up at a couple other places - the blcli server seems to be enabled but we get that error message out.  do you have a ticket open on this ?