3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2018 9:39 AM by Nicolas Roome

New processes being developed, for those who are interested

Nicolas Roome
      Share This:

I have finalized some new processes within our FootPrints sandbox and wanted to share with the community, both to show what some out of the box thinking can do, but also to drum up interest.

These processes will be coming in a future release of our FootPrints ITSM database (FootPrints Service Core ITSM Database | RjR Innovations) but are also available stand-alone and can be loaded into any version 12 environment. Anyone interested can email me at nroome@rjrinnovations.com and we can talk about next steps.

They are:

1) Preventive Maintenance (Now completed!)

FootPrints provides the capability to do preventive maintenance already, but it is only functional in a fashion similar to creating recurring appointments in your Outlook calendar. There is no central view to see all preventive maintenance scheduled tasks, and you are limited into the functionality available. I have incorporated a design more standard in functionality like is seen in many other software tools which offer the feature.

There has been community interest for this for quite some time:
      Set time when Preventive Maintenance tickets are created

Use Template in Recurring Tickets in FP12

Concept functionality:

2) Change Management – Standard Change Templates

Standard Changes are supposed to be pre-approved changes which follow a documented set of steps (procedure). Currently, there is no way to enforce this within FootPrints. This POC was to build a separate record type to create Standard Change Templates which can then be reviewed and approved and used when creating Change Requests of type ‘Standard’. These Standard Change Templates can then be grouped by category for easier usage when creating Change Requests.

Concept function:

3) Record Purging (Now Completed!)

All deleted records within FootPrints are soft deleted (they are marked as deleted instead of actually deleted). This can cause problems with company data retention policies. With the newly introduced Archiving and Deletion sub-processes within our FootPrints ITSM database, I am bringing out a more functional Record Purging function. Due to the nature of this POC, custom database code is required to achieve this as almost no FootPrints business logic can be used. Those who know me, know I never shy away from custom db code, and FootPrints handles this type of customization very well even persisting without issue throughout upgrades. We already have a similar offering in our FACT tool (FACT - BMC FootPrints Administrator Companion Tool - RjR Innovations)

Improved Archive / Purge Functionality in Footprints Workspaces

When deleting from application, should delete from database also - FP12

FP12 - Ability to mass delete tickets in a Container Item

Concept function:

4) Auto Change Calendar Population (Now completed!)

FootPrints does not have a formal ‘Change Calendar’, but it does have a calendaring function which can be used for a Change Calendar. However no business automation is possible. Through custom db coding, it is possible to create business logic which can create and update Change Calendar entries based on changes to Change Requests, such as start/end dates, status, etc.

FootPrints 12.1 Auto Populate Change Calendar from Change Request Submission

Automatically create calendar appointment from date-time field

In addition to these, we already have some other non-standard processes available today:

1) Session and Active Session views

This provides information as to who and when someone is logged in, and tracks this historically.

2) Licence Usage and Today's Licence Usage views

This is ideal for knowing your licence usage and whether you have too few, or too many, licences, and trend your busiest time of day.

3) Purchase Management with integration to CMDB

A function seen in many ITSM tools, this can be used to supplement existing Purchase Management tools and aid in the loading of assets into the CMDB when they are received, including in bulk.

4) Known Error Database with integration to Problem Management

Automate the whole lifecycle and content of your Known Error Database through the life of your Problem records.

• 1. Re: New processes being developed, for those who are interested
          Nicolas Roome

Wanted to provide an update as I have recently made some improvements to the purge piece. Designed to purge either all records, or all (soft) deleted records per item. The next piece I'd add to it later is a function to reset ticket numbers as that is a common request side by side with purging.

Note that the purge function can be modified to take other criteria into account, such as categorization, dates, etc, and can be equally modified to serve for purging data within the record rather than the record itself (such as contact names, etc)

[edit] Updated the screenshot

• 2. Re: New processes being developed, for those who are interested
            Nicolas Roome

I have the Change Calendar Automation piece almost finished. Basically the way it works is on the Change Request, you have a Scheduled Start Date and a Scheduled End Date. Once both are filled, an entry in the Change Management workspace calendar will automatically be created based on those dates. If the dates change, the entry in the calendar will automatically be moved.

This is being included into the RjR FootPrints ITSM database, but can also be attached to any existing FP12 installation.

• 3. Re: New processes being developed, for those who are interested
              Nicolas Roome

The Change Calendar Automation feature is now complete. I wanted to show off it's functionality in these screenshots below.

Elements of the form:

You'll see the above info is used to automatically create, and update, a calendar entry: