3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2017 4:26 PM by Peter Adams

Integration with another Ticketing tool - Process

Viknesh PS

Dear All,

Currently L1 and L2 tickets are handled by one company (A) and if they consider the ticket received is L3, they forward the same ticket to another company (B).

This flow is happening in BMC Remedy now.

We have a requirement to integrate BMC with another ticketing tool. All the incidents created in BMC will be created in another ticket tool which will be used by Company (A) while Company (B) will continue to use BMC only for L3 handling.

1. How can company (A) forward the ticket to Company (B) if they consider the ticket received is L3.

Below is the solution proposed but not agreed yet.

Let's say an Incident - INC123 is created in BMC for which a ticket - TT111 is created in another ticketing tool.

Company (A) consider the ticket - TT111 is required to be solved by L3 team who should be able to view the list of L3 BMC groups which they select and provide the justification.

The justification and L3 BMC group will be passed to BMC so the incident - INC123 is assigned to correct L3 group.

The challenge is to show the list of BMC groups in another ticketing tool.
      What is the best practice for this scenario.

Do we need to create a new ticket to L3 group instead of making changes to the incident - INC123?

2. Another scenario is once the incident is resolved (currently by company A), they expect BMC to close or cancel the ticket which gets updated in their system.

Does the customer for whom incident raised should have the right to Close or Cancel once the resolution provided.

Can you please help me to know what should be flow for handling of tickets in a situation where L1 and L2 is with one Company while L3 (Only forwarded by L1 and L2 team) by another company.

Regards,

Viknesh

• 1. Re: Integration with another Ticketing tool - Process
          Peter Adams

Viknesh, if your question is how to programmatically create an incident in Remedy ITSM, there's multiple options to do that:

• Remedy ITSM offers various APIs / web services (Java, C, SOAP, REST, ...)
          • BMC Atrium Orchestrators as integration tool. Has pre-built connector to Remedy ITSM and many other tools
          • There's a number of 3rd-party vendors of offer integration tools with pre-built connectors to Remedy ITSM

I'm still not quite sure how the flow is supposed to work. From the initial 2 paragraphs, it seems that the process starts in an external tool, which is used for L1 and L2. Only if the ticket needs to be forwarded to L3 does Remedy ITSM come into play. Then in the 5th paragraph ("Let's say ...") you state that the process starts with an incident in Remedy ITSM, then goes to the other tool, then comes back to Remedy ITSM. You'd need to clarify further.

I'm not sure if it makes sense to expose the Remedy ITSM support group structure in another tool. I'd say the flow should create the incident in Remedy, with the proper categorization, CI, etc, and then the Remedy ITSM auto-assignment should take care of routing it to the right support group.

Of course I'm biased, but in my opinion

a) I'm not sure why someone would want to use a 3rd-party tool for L1 or L2.  Remedy ITSM (with its Smart IT and Digital Workplace experience) is by far the best solution for both sides of the Service Desk (L1). Just have a look at the recently published Gartner ITSM Critical Capabilities report.

b) If need to collaborate between different ITSM tools instances, it's much easier to do that between two instances of Remedy ITSM. Lots of field mappings issues, etc. are going away.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Integration with another Ticketing tool - Process
            Viknesh PS

Dear Peter,

Thank you so much for your response.

The flow is as below.

1. Ticket (Parent) created in BMC Remedy

2. Details from BMC Remedy goes to another Ticketing tool (example, SNOW) and creates a child ticket

3. In SNOW, where L1 and L2 tickets are handled,if the support engineer feels the ticket should be resolved by L3 team, they should put the ticket on hold and update their initial analysis. Here is where the proposal that Support engineer should select the appropriate L3 support group.

4. BMC receives the analysis details and L3 support group name to which the parent ticket gets assigned.

5. There is a case where L3 team can reject which should reflect in Child Ticket.

Currently this full life cycle is happening in BMC Remedy. Part of this life cycle - L1 and L2 is going to happen in new ticketing tool.

So how can we replicate the existing scenario of forwarding and rejecting L3 tickets between two tools.

What is the best practice to implement this.

It's a decision taken at higher level to go with a new tool, may be cost cutting, I am not sure.

After reading your response, I am planning to propose SmartIT.

Can you please help me with your response regardng SmartIT.

1.  I assume Smart-IT is free for 8.1.02 version.

2. There are tickets created from SRDs - can those inputs wll be shown in SmartIT.

3. But I think customization is very difficult in Smart-IT. We have many in Incidents.\

4. without Installing Smart-IT, will I be able to show the demo.

• 3. Re: Integration with another Ticketing tool - Process
              Peter Adams

First, to answer your Smart IT questions:

1. yes, there are no extra costs with Smart IT. It's the new user experience for Remedy ITSM, and standard Remedy ITSM user licenses entitle to use Smart IT - both the web version and the mobile apps. Also, I can also confirm that Smart IT is compatible with 8.1.02.
              2. Any standard ticket (incident, change, workorder) created via a service request - whether using SRM Request Entry console or Digital Workplace / MyIT - can be managed via Smart IT. That of course assumes user has the right permissions. In addition, Service Desk agents can also use Smart IT to submit service requests on behalf of business users - something that was not possible in the mid-tier UI
              3. You can adjust Smart IT and Remedy ITSM in many ways to address customizations you've done in Remedy ITSM. We have hundreds of customers use Smart IT in production. Yes, Smart IT doesn't not "interpret" ActiveLinks automatically, as it is a completely new user experience. Many of the ActiveLinks don't really translate well, if you have a completely new layout of screen, etc.   BTW, if you'd apply the same customizations to ServiceNow, there's also no "magic" here - you'd have to spend a lot on customizations, which will be costly during upgrades, as SNOW doesn't have an overlay concept.
              4. You can look at Smart IT and show others using our See-Try-Buy page. See Try the new Remedy 9 today  That's a vanilla environment that refreshed nightly. If you needed to create a more company-specific demo, you'd need to install and connect to your Remedy ITSM dev/test instance.

Let me state that Remedy offers by far the most advanced user experience for ITSM. That's not just me saying it, but look at the comments and scoring by Gartner in the most recent ITSM Critical Capabilities report from Aug 2017: Critical Capabilities for IT Service Management Tools where Remedy extended the scores over ServiceNow and other vendors. Unfortunately I cannot share this report.

Plus, I don't think there's any cost benefit is using ServiceNow.  Also something you can see in the report (look at 'Total Cost of Ownership'). I'm sure if you work with your BMC account team, we can find a solution that's financially more attractive to your company.

As to the flow you describe:

If the incidents first go into Remedy ITSM (whether via SR or directly via Service Desk phone calls), then your L1 is using Remedy.  You could at most say that L1a is using another tool.

If L1a and L2 use a different tool, you need to find a way to send out the incident, and then sync up status and work notes. There's a couple of options for that - both based on custom development as well as 3rd-party solution. My recommendation is not to create another incident when the work goes back to L3. You should use the existing one. You'd need to make sure that all "work notes" from external tool are sync'ed with original incident.

My strong recommendation is to stay simple and stay with one solution - RemedyITSM. There's really no benefits in using ServiceNow here. If "getting ITSM tool as service in the cloud" is important, BMC has options for that.