4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 24, 2017 2:02 PM by Brian Bell

Controlling temporary tag creation

Brian Bell

Is there a way to control access to create temporary tag functionality in presentation server

Can we control which users have the ability to create temporary tags in presentation server?

Can we control which users have the ability to make temporary tags permanent?

Additionally, is there a specific tag that we can assign to this purpose other than generic so that these types of tags will be easier to identify and control?

• 1. Re: Controlling temporary tag creation
          Gaspare Provenzano

Hi Brian,

as answered also in this thread:

Temporary tag identification and management

Temporary tags are maintained only in user session, no information is written for them on the DB and they are automatically cleaned after a logout. So you don't need to take care of them.

Regards

• 2. Re: Controlling temporary tag creation
            Brian Bell

Agreed that temporary tags do not remain;  That helps;

For user which turn temporary tags into permanent tags

1) Can I control which users can turn temporary tags into permanent ones?

2) Can I control which tag types users can specify, for example could I create a specific tag type just for this purpose so I could find them all easily ?

3) Is there any other identifying information in the database that would allow them to be easily distinguished from other "admin/etl" generated tags?

Other than entries in PV_AUDIT_MESSAGES which is fleeting, is there more permanent information that allows me to manage tag generated by users?

Which user created them and when would be used to eventually round up unnecessary tags and remove them from the environment.  Obviously it would also be helpful to know when the tag was last accessed or used for filtering so that unused (not just old) tags could be taken away. With this functionality, based on experience with similar features in other products,  I see a lot of unorganized clutter caused by even just a few rambunctious users.   Over time, I am expecting there will be a need for some recurring cleanup.

• 3. Re: Controlling temporary tag creation
              Matteo Bertone

Hi Brian,

Currently there is no way to do control which users can turn temporary tags into permanent ones or restrict the tagtypes available for that purpose.

In order to see if a tag is used you can use the search in the Capacity Optimization Console.

Additionally you can also see in the PV_ENT_TAG table the  INSERTTS and UPDATETS columns to see when they were created/updated.

Regards

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Controlling temporary tag creation
                Brian Bell

OK;  Thanks;  It appears that we will need an RFE.

I have created an idea for this (15865)

Temp Tag Identification and Management