1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 6:39 AM by JITESH JHA

Normalization Not Getting Worked

Share:|

Hi Gurus,

I am new to cmdb. Referring atrium 90  PDF and trying to normalize a data set. I created a data set manually. Then I created CIs/instances in two three classes manually as I didn't have external source of integration to load rows CIs data.

Now I want to normalize those CIs against the normalization features and the existing configuration. I didn't change any OOTB settings. Also I didn't provided any categorization while creating CIs. I created a normalization job on my data set and run that job. Jobs getting completed with normalization status as failed for those CIs.

No idea why it's getting failed. Am I missing something. Please help me to understand the normalization end to end so that I can understand it in better way. I am trying to learn it by reading the PDF but getting miss lead.

Activity Performed By Me: I created a data set say TEST and created some instances of Product, Database, Activity Classes and write a job by including my data set which is not continuous. Adding more whatever instances I created some has categorization (CTI) some has not. After normalizing, the normalization status showing as failed which means no Product Catalog entry is found for the CI. Does it mean that I have to create product catalog mapping or the product which I mean to normalize doesn't exist in my OOTB prod cat. Though I cross checked prod cat too which already exist. I thought that it may be that class might be not configured so I tried to configure Product Class in edit configuration but I'm not getting the product class under that. Attaching the screen shot. If the class is not populated under that drop down how can I add that class in that so that I can configure class.

Expecting your comments and help to understand normalization step by step at one go by an example. Your any help will be appreciable.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 1. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
          Gustavo del Gerbo

The log of the job will tell you why it failed. Normally it will fail because you do not have a matching product in the Product Catalog.

Can you share a screenshot of your sample CI as well as the sample Product in the Product Catalog that matches that CI?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Gustavo,

Here is the screen shot for my sample CI and product catalog.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 3. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
              Stefan Hall

Hi Jitesh,

1. PRJ-001 seems not the full prduct name at product cat
              2. manufacturer doN#t match
              3. what about the version at product cat? Your CI shows MDL-02 and your prod cat?

Therefore no matching entry was found and the CI got NE status 40 (not normalized)

• 4. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
                Gustavo del Gerbo

Agree with Stefan.

1 product name is ok? It seems like you edited the name in the screenshot.

2 Dell != Dell Corporation. Do you have an alias for this? If so can you show me the alias record?

3 Version. The CI has a version, do you have this version created for this product?

• 5. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Here is Alias Mapping For Manufacture Name.

Alias Name For Model Name:

CI Type as Product:

Note: Sorry, The product Name was edited as I taken multiple screen shots.

Also is it so that Product Name in Product Catalog is equal to Model Name in Alias Form. Can I use Normalization for the same Prodcat, Prodcat Alias Mapping, and NE:Alias mapping for multiple instances for a same class. Now everything I paste as a screenshot now please suggest what I am doing wrong here.

• 6. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
                    Stefan Hall

After a quick view, I can't see the version number "MDL-02" at Model/Version. Maybe one part of the problem.

Can you post a part of your log file with the error information - could not find matching product ... It shows information about working alias entries for manufacturer and/or model.

• 7. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Stefan,

The log says below thing:

2017-04-06 01:58:49,918 ERROR [pool-32-thread-2] com.bmc.ne.plugin.BatchJobHelper (?:?) - <TID: 000000189> : Error while normalizing the instance id <AGGAA5V0GD2QGAONY3VKONC572MFNZ> of class <BMC.CORE:BMC_Product>. ERROR (120516): Could not find any unique entry in the Product Catalog. Product Catalog Key: null, Model: PR-J001, Manufacturer: Dell Corporation, Version: D-PRJ-MDL-02, Patch: null

Also I don't think that Normalization feature require to configure for this product as Version, relation, suite etc. Dataset Configuration, Class configuration already exist.

Though the prod cat entry is there. Please comment on this.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 8. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
                        Stefan Hall

Manufacturer: Dell Corporation => NE alias for manufacturer seems working

Model: PR-J001 => NE alias for product don't work, PR-J001 is the of the CI

And I'm very sure you need to normalize version too for class product. Without a version rollup or/and version entry at product cat NE can't find a matching entry.

• 9. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Stefan,

As I attached screen shot for Prod Cat where I entered version too for Prod Cat. Though my normalization getting failed.

Can you please light on the complete normalization process once. What steps should be done to normalize a data set.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 10. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Gustavo,

Still I'm not getting my resolution. Can you please comment on the latest facts in this discussion so that I can mark this as Answered.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 11. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
                              Stefan Hall

Hi Jitesh,

can you post a consistent set of information. I see different information

catalog mapping D-RQJ > STC-PRJ-001

alias mapping PRJ-001 > STC-PRJ-001, you don't need both

Your product type is software ...

For me it is impossible to say where you should take a closure look. Maybe Gustavo can help.

• 12. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for keeping this conversation alive.

Sorry, I copied Prod Cat another one which I set later for testing but no luck even. Actually prodcat have same value I set as PRJ-001 > STC-PRJ-001 previously. So consider it only a right information not the image which I pasted over here.

I used CI type as Product. 

Please let me know if you want anything else regarding it.

Or can you please let me know what practice generally you follow for normalization end to end so that I can follow the same and at least clear my doubts for normalization.

Regards,

Jitesh

• 13. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked
                                  Stefan Hall

Hi Jitesh,

I've created a graphical overview for NE process over the last few month. All steps, forms and our findings at one page (size A3).

Unfortunately there's one catch, it is in German. Is it a problem for you?

• 14. Re: Normalization Not Getting Worked

Hi Stefan,

Could you please share here. It will be great help. I'll try to Interpret that and understand. 

Regards,

Jitesh

1 2 Previous Next