6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2019 11:06 PM by Gabriel McGinn

Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails

Gabriel McGinn
      Share This:

Hello Remedyforce community,

I have a follow up question as a result of my prior post cited here: Remedyforce Report Staff Outbound Emails Volume

I am now able to create reports tracking staffs outbound activities. That said a new issue has presented itself. I have found that roughly 50% of our OutBound emails are being sent as the Default Workflow User.

This user is required, and cannot be turned off due to some of the automations that are in place.

Has anyone encountered this/devised a work around? It doesn't appear that there will be a work around for the email conversation history displaying the wrong name, but with regard to the need for Reporting, one possible solution I am investigating is creating a object that is updated through a flow or process on send with the Staff members name.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
          Paul Donders

Hi,

By the sound of that, it are email send by the system, based on workflowrules. Is that correct?

If that is the case it cannot be changed, as they are send by the system.

• 2. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
            Gabriel McGinn

Some emails are sent via out incident notification process or Change request notification process via a object which is toggled to send. This fires off a process builder process which sends a standardized email template to the people specified in the email alert.

I suspected that was a problem, but upon investigation found it is not only for notifications, but replies as well. The issue affecting replies may be due to rules changing the status based on the custom next update objects time - which fire a time based workflow to prompt staff to follow up on a case.

Based on your comment it seems that I may need to create a custom "email sent" object and then have it update that field with the staffs name.

I could then use field update history tracking to audit the # of outbound emails per agent. Again unless someone has a better solution. (/fingers crossed)

• 3. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
              Paul Donders

Happy to discuss more details, but sounds like you made some complex scenarios that I don't know the use case for and if they make sense at all.

The std email send and receives works as you want, not sure what and why the customization are needed for, but as we both say, that's the reason of your concern, workflows, process builder etc etc.

Paul Donders

InfraVision

• 4. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
                Gabriel McGinn

Thanks for your reply. Here is a rough break down of the setup that is applicable to the issue:

• Process Builder configured Notification process, where a field is toggled to send a Template Notification based on field settings to contacts defined in the Email Alert.
                • Workflow Rules changes Status of ticket to Pending when an outbound email is sent.
                • Workflow Rule changes Status of ticket to Update Received when an inbound email is received so long as ticket is not set to closed.
                • Workflow Rule changes Status of ticket to Reopened when reply is received for a ticket that has a status of Closed.
                • Timebased Workflow Rule changes status to Update Due when scheduled time is recached so long as ticket is not closed.
                  • This helps our staff routinely update threads to comply with company update windows.
                  • A Console Dashboard has been configured to show the Staff tickets with these Status's so that they can easily prioritize incoming tickets/with follow up requirements.

The issue is when Staff members trigger an automated process the outbound email in the Email Conversation's Action History are recorded as our Default Workflow User. According to the FAQ the Default Workflow user is required for Timebased workflows.

I specifically want to be able to generate reports to track Staff's outbound activities. Remedyforce Report Staff Outbound Emails Volume

The issue is that this report is showing that nearly 50% of all of our outbound emails are being attributed to the Default Workflow User. Now when I click into the report's tickets attributed to the Default Workflow User: I see the Staff persons name (populated via the Email template using: {!$User.FirstName} {!$User.LastName} or the staff are manually populating their signatures into outbound messages.

Now because the template was pulling the correct persons name and not the Default Workflow User's name, I tried to create an Object+formula ($User.FirstName + " " +$User.LastName), and added this to my Workflow Rule for setting the Pending status on Send (using a field update). This appeared to work, but then discovered that the Incident Field History tracking doesn't appear to work on Text fields. I am currently investigating to see if I can have a workflow update a look up field with the current staff members name or alternative solutions.

• 5. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
                  Gabriel McGinn

I am not consistently able to reproduce the results. Im going to have to try to gather some logs to try to determine the root cause for this. I know its the Default Workflow user, but am not specifically seeing a delineating factor as to which rule is the issue.

• 6. Re: Issue with Default Workflow User and Remedyforce Report on Staff Outbound Emails
                    Gabriel McGinn

The cause of the issue was a configuration with the email alerts. The support address was included as an additional email address. The reason for this was to log this email alert message in the activity history.

The issue is if the support address is in the to,from,cc an entry action is logged for each entry.