1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2017 7:20 AM by Cody Dean

BSA migration concerns

Vipul Pawaskar

Hi,

We are migrating BSA environment from one data center to another. So here I would to know what will be the impact on BSA after migration? I believe there will not be any impact on BSA but still i would like to take your advise expert.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

• 1. Re: BSA migration concerns
          Santhosh Kurimilla

Check my comment on the thread: Data Center move question

• 3. Re: BSA migration concerns
            Vipul Pawaskar

Thanks Santosh for your information

I have one concern on this. We are planning to create a clone of existing BSA environment for testing purpose. Once it is taken from backup team, we will test on new data center with clone VM (different hostname,IP and FQDN)

I just want to confirm, will it work??

Regards,

• 4. Re: BSA migration concerns
              Santhosh Kurimilla

Before I suggest you anything on this, we should have a clear idea about the setup (No of AppServers, DB Configuration, File system and any special configuration, etc.) at your organization.

So, as suggested on the other thread:

- Do you have AppServer, DB and File Server configured on a single machine?

- How is blasadmin configured for Database and File Server - using IP, Host name and alias like blfs, bldb, etc?

- Moreover, what version of BSA?

• 5. Re: BSA migration concerns
                Vipul Pawaskar

Hi,

PFB my comments :-

Do you have AppServer, DB and File Server configured on a single machine?

---------> We have app server and file server on a single machine and database on another. We have configured one appserver into single configuration server and two job server.

How is blasadmin configured for Database and File Server - using IP, Host name and alias like blfs, bldb, etc?

---------> blasadmin configured for file server and database server using hostname.

Note :- We have checked advanced option for database configuration in post install configuration wizard).                       

for e.g jdbc:sqlserver://DatabaseHostname:1433;DatabaseName=;SelectMethod=cursor

Moreover, what version of BSA

---------> Customer using BSA 8.8 Version

Regards,

• 6. Re: BSA migration concerns
                  Santhosh Kurimilla

As you are using the clone VM, please just update the blasadmin settings according to new DB/Server name and File Server. That's why it may be good idea to use alias for File Server names, etc.

• 7. Re: BSA migration concerns
                    Bill Robinson

"We are migrating BSA environment from one data center to another"

-> so what is changing ?  ips, hostnames, ?  what is being moved?  appserver, database, file server, etc ?

• 8. Re: BSA migration concerns
                      Vipul Pawaskar

Hi Bill

IPAddress, Hostname and domain will be changed. We are moving all BSA components App server, file server, database serber, pxe server and all patch repo server.

Regards,

• 9. Re: BSA migration concerns
                        Bill Robinson

what OS - windows ?  when you say the 'domain' is changing do you mean the 'fqdn' of the server is going to change ?

what version of bsa ?

• 10. Re: BSA migration concerns
                          Vipul Pawaskar

Hi Bill,

Yes, FQDN of server is going to change. PFB bsa details:-

1. BSA version - 8.8

2. BSA Application Server OS - Windows 2k8

3. Database Server - MSSQL 2k8

4. Database Server OS - Windows 2k8

Regards,

• 11. Re: BSA migration concerns
                            Bill Robinson

So you will need to do something like:

- if you have an exports file on your target servers that only allows connections from the appserver names/ips you need to push a new file w/ both the new and old appserver info before you move the appservers

- stop all the services, set them to not autostart

- make all your changes to the servers

- in the database you will need to update entries in a couple tables w/ the new hostnames

- in blasadmin you’ll need to update the connection info for everything

- delete directories in NSH/br/deployments except for _template and _launcher

- start the appserver services

- push an exports file that allows connections from only the new IPs/hostnames now.

I would suggest opening a support ticket so we can provide the sql queries and if there’s anything else.

• 12. Re: BSA migration concerns
                              Vipul Pawaskar

Hi Bill,

Thanks for giving expert advice. Just to update you we have configured single bsa appserver into config server and job server (CLM Configuration) on a single server.

We are going to follow below steps, could you give us your suggestion if we good to go with this?

1. We will keep primary BSA environment in running for server administrator to perform activities through BSA to make sure that their work should not get impacted.

2. We will take snapshot of VMs and move VMs snapshot to another data center.

3. Once moved, we will follow steps provided by you.

4. Once migration is complete, will stop primary BSA.

Also we need more details on some steps provided by you?

stop all the services, set them to not autostart

----> Is it ok, if we keep primary application server in running for a while before migrating  to another data-center to make sure that server administrator work should not get impacted.

in the database you will need to update entries in a couple tables w/ the new hostnames

----> Any documentation to refer?

in blasadmin you’ll need to update the connection info for everything

----> Any documentation to refer?

delete directories in NSH/br/deployments except for _template and _launcher-

---->What will happen if we do not delete directories under NSH/br except for _template and _launcher?

Regards,

• 13. Re: BSA migration concerns
                                Bill Robinson

so you have a single appserver and database.  you intend to take a snapshot of these systems while the application is running and then migrate just the snapshot to another facility and make all the changes ?

you reference a 'primary' appserver - i don't see that you have a secondary appserver given that you said you had a single appserver.  is the 'secondary' the snapshot you intend to create ?

• 14. Re: BSA migration concerns
                                  Vipul Pawaskar

Hi Bill,

Please find my response below:-

so you have a single appserver and database.  you intend to take a snapshot of these systems while the application is running and then migrate just the snapshot to another facility and make all the changes ?

----->  Yes, we have a single BSA application server and database server at this moment. i.e We have installed BSA application server on one server and database on another.

-----> We are planning to clone existing BSA servers and then migrate(Clone VMs) to new data-center So that our existing BSA server service should be in running and server team can utilize BSA to perform their activities such as for patching etc..

----> Could you please suggest do we need take snapshot or clone of BSA Application server to migrate BSA to new datacenter?

----> Also, Do we need to stop the application server services while taking snapshot or cloning the VMs?

you reference a 'primary' appserver - i don't see that you have a secondary appserver given that you said you had a single appserver.  is the 'secondary' the snapshot you intend to create ?

-----> i think, my previous statement makes you confused, I have only one BSA application server at this moment.

-----> Earlier, we were using BSA to provision a VMs through CLM. I can see under the BSA console -> Configuration -> Infrastructure Management, Existing BSA environment has been configured into BSA server(Type All), Configuration Server and Job Server so here do we need to take separate precaution in such kind of configuration.

Note. We have only one application server.

Kindly let me know if you have any concern on this.

Regards,

1 2 Previous Next