10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2017 8:26 AM by Rahul Priyadarshy

Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication

Rahul Priyadarshy
      Share:|

Hi Team,

We are in Process Of Setup New Environment of 9.1 ARS+ITSM full suite.

We have not Considered Separate DR servers. Plan is to Convert Our QA environment into DR if needed (How I will Explain).

Site A-- Production Remedy (4 ARS+4 MT) + Prod DB Oracle

Site B- QA Remedy (4 ARS + 4 MT) + QA DB Oracle + DR DB Oracle (only Data base)

So architecture wise Both Environment are in Sync.

Plan is to have another Oracle DB  (For DR) at Site B which will be replicated using Oracle Data Guard with Site A Production Oracle DB. Now My Questions are where need input

?

(1) When DR is invoked (Site B) We are planning to Point all ARS QA servers to replicated DB - My Question here is since 9.1 is using JDBC String can we do this pointer Change SInce ere Oracle DB host is Chaning ?

(2) Another Approach is to - In Case of DR replicate QA DB with Production DB backup and then reconfigure QA to act as Production?

(3) Is First Option is possible then out of 1 and 2 which should i go with?

Inputs Please and a

!!!!!! Very Very Happy and Prosperous New Year to All - In Advance

Regards

RP

• 2. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
          Rahul Priyadarshy

folks need some input please.. :-)

Regards

RP

• 3. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
            Mark Walters

I think you'll find it's quiet due to the New Year holidays - hopefully people will be back and active again this week.

In principle the setup you're proposing makes sense - I know there are customer's that have similar environments for DR.  There are a number of things you need to consider for when you activate the DR setup.  Some examples, and by no means everything...

Renaming DR servers - your production configuration will include many server references in different places such as config files, data forms and server group details.  Either your DR servers need to be included already, or you will need to perform some sort of renaming activities when you fail over.  If you have the DR servers listed in the active config beware of things like FTS - the ft_pending table will accumulate entries for the ranked, but inactive, DR servers which may cause an issue volume wise.  Also how will you update the FTS indexes when failover takes place?

The JDBC connection strings are built from the Db- entries in the ar.cfg/conf files so those will need to be updated when you switch the QA systems to become the DR hosts.

The best choice for your business is not something anyone here can tell you - so much depends on your requirements (how much downtime is acceptable for a failover to DR?), your environment (capacity of WAN links and other infrastructure) and your capabilities (how many people are available to perform the changes necessary when failing over? Are you able to develop scripts to automate steps?)

Similar questions have been asked in the past so be sure to have a search of the communities to see what others have done/asked and see what advice/experiences were offered.

Mark

4 of 4 people found this helpful
            • 4. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
              Rahul Priyadarshy

thanks Mark for the reply.

Regards

RP

• 5. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                Carey Walker

Hi RP,

Sorry for the slow reply. My recent experience has been only with MS SQL and Always On, and in practice I wasn't very close to the smarts they put together to make all that work fr the DR scenarios.

Carey

• 6. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                  Evan Ruble

Hi Rahul,

Due to the concerns Mark Walters mentioned, my approach is typically to boot images of the production servers from backup into the DR data center. It resolves all of the server naming issues in config files, unless your database name would change. In that case you can just update it in the ar.cfg file. You'll also have out of date FTS indexes, but that's nothing that can't be fixed in a few hours, with minimal end-user impact. If your data center is using a virtual platform like VMWare, it shouldn't be too much effort for them to recover your servers in the DR data center.

-ER

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 7. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                    LJ LongWing

Rahul,

Remedy is a very chatty app...it talks to the DB server allot...and I mean ALLOT....so, from that perspective, I must say that the App servers should be in the same DC as the db server....so, in a DR situation, I recommend having a separate set of App servers sitting there 'waiting' for the DR...not repointing the current app servers to a new db....the other concerns pointed out are of course still valid...but I would not recommend trying to use the same app servers against a new db server in a different DC.

• 8. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                      Rahul Priyadarshy

LJ LongWing  thanks  for the reply- Cost was the major player for misery solution. :-)

Evan Ruble my approach is typically to boot images of the production servers from backup into the DR data center. Please elaborate more.

Thanks

RP

• 9. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                        Evan Ruble

Virtualization technologies like Hyper-V and VMWare support entire server backup and restore capabilities. If you were to configure server backups scheduled on a nightly basis for Remedy, if you lose a data center, you can restore those servers from backup into your DR data center. Anything that's changed on the AR Server since the last backup would be lost, which is usually just going to be FTS indexes (unless you're doing config changes or upgrades to the server). If your DR plan involves using a separate DR databases, you'd just have to reconfigure your AR Servers to point to the new database after they have been restored.

The specifics of how you would implement backup and restore functionality are dependent your specific infrastructure. Your infrastructure team likely already has a plan in place to backup and restore servers. If that's the case, you can probably leverage that to rebuild your servers from a backup in the case of a disaster.

This process isn't HA though. It will probably involve manual restoration of the servers, as well as the mentioned database reconfiguration. LJ's solution would be far closer to HA if that's a concern for your organization.

-ER

• 10. Re: Remedy 9.1 New Environment Setup -Query on Replication
                          Rahul Priyadarshy

So Folks - Recently we tested our DR Solution and It worked Like a Charm.

(1) Remedy Mid Tier and ARS - On VM so all VM moved to DR DC.

(2) MAC address of the VM were kept Intact so no need to reapply the ARS Licenses.

(3) Data Guard was used to do replication of DB from Primary DC to DR DC. Oracle was made up and provided to us.

(4) Remedy Application was pointed to New DB by Updating AR.Conf file.

This is how we achieved it.

Regards

RP