3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 3:58 PM by Bill Robinson

Pre-stage Custom Software/ MSI / Scripts directly and indirectly

James Donohue

BSA 8.3

We use the concept of Releases to deploy software to Servers(Windows and Linux and right not are taking a serious look at Windows). eg. Could be 75 Products that need to be deployed to many Servers every 1-3 months. We are currently taking a look at Agile but not there yet so when we deploy Products, its a massive effort. We are taking a serious look at BSA to determine if it could possibly replace our Current Software Deployment system. Today's questions is: Is there a way that we can pre-stage software either directly or indirectly (we have a bunch of strategic Repeaters) without using a BLPackage? These Releases are primarily made up of MSI Packages / Custom Software Packages and some NSH Scripts. There are reasons why we are opting to not use BLPackages for Releases so we are looking at a BIG Batch job to perform the deployments. Senior Leadership is looking for a way to pre-stage the software one day and then perform the actual installations a day or 2 later.  

• 1. Re: Pre-stage Custom Software/ MSI / Scripts directly and indirectly
          Bill Robinson

i believe you can still use the adv deploy features w/ a software-based deploy.  or you can always create a blpackage w/ the depot software as a soft-link.

or you can push the MSIs to the 'repeater' or some other system that has a share on it and then have the targets directly mount the share to get the payload during deployment.

• 2. Re: Pre-stage Custom Software/ MSI / Scripts directly and indirectly
            James Donohue

Hi Bill,

I don't see any way to author a Software Deploy Job as an Advanced Job Type (only BLPackages). One of the issues is: we do a TYPE command(Windows; CAT for Linux)  as a post command to get the log file contents generated by each Product and bring them back into the Job Results. Some of these logs are big. If we add all of our Release Products to a BLPackage, that would generate a massive log for each Server that we deploy to. It's not going to fly; the Deployment Engineers would not accept that solution. If I create a separate BLPackage for each Product, I don't know how that would look either. I guess I'll test that solution.

As far as "push to the Repeater a Central location Share, and then have the Targets directly mount the Share, I got an error regarding something about - the Share must be NFS or something like that. I only did one initial test on that because we need to push to Repeaters behind the Firewall for some targets and push directly to the Server staging area on others. I set the Jobs to ALWAYS stage indirect and for Servers that don't have a Repeater assigned, it generates a Warning and pushes direct; that's acceptable for us. 

Getting the Product log for each Package back into the Job Results is very important to us.  

• 3. Re: Pre-stage Custom Software/ MSI / Scripts directly and indirectly
              Bill Robinson

"If we add all of our Release Products to a BLPackage"

-> not sure where that was suggested.

"If I create a separate BLPackage for each Product, I don't know how that would look either. I guess I'll test that solution."

-> you would have one depot software object and one blpackage for each of your 'release products'.  the blpackage would contain a soft-link'd object pointed to the depot software needed for that 'release product'.  which can be done w/ the blcli (BlPackage.addDepotObjectToPackage or createPackageFromDepotObject)

for using the 'agent_mount' the share must match the os - windows share for windows targets (share can be backed by samba) or nfs for unix targets.  agent_mount won't use the repeater.