4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2016 6:46 AM by Bill Robinson

Can we create a system user using BSA? : BSA 8.5

Rohini Chaudhari

Hi,

Can we create a system user using BMC Bladelogic Server Automation console and can we set a password and permissions for that user?

Like for example, suppose there are 100 servers and I want to create a system user called as test user with permissions like Administrator user, for a particular time period and password using BMC Bladelogic Server Automation console.

If in case, it is not possible using Bladelogic Server Automation console, so is there any alternate solution for it like using NSH scripting or BLCLI to create these system users?

Please suggest for the same.

• 1. Re: Can we create a system user using BSA? : BSA 8.5
          Bill Robinson

assuming you are mapped to a user on the target server that allows you to create a user account, yes.

one way would be to create the user as you want on one server, then live browse to it, and right click and add it to a blpackage and then deploy it.

another way would be to nexec the commands to create the user on all your targets that need it.

• 2. Re: Can we create a system user using BSA? : BSA 8.5
            Yanick Girouard

We use BLPackages to change root account passwords or create certain service accounts here and it works great. Like Bill said, you first need to create the user on a server, and then live browse that user when adding a part to to the BLPackage. You can then edit the password field as needed whenever you need to change it, and redeploy the user on other servers.

The only thing I found "unfriendly" with this approach is the errors and warnings that may show up if the password doesn't meet the password policies on the server, or if you try a password that is in the history of passwords (i.e. within last 10 passwords). For this reason, make sure you set the logging level of the deploy job to "All Information" or you just won't see why it failed.

• 3. Re: Can we create a system user using BSA? : BSA 8.5
              Rohini Chaudhari

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply. After clicking on live browse, on the server where we want to create a system user, may I know on which thing should we right click in order to proceed furthur and add it to blpackage and then deploy. Can you please elaborate the steps for this.

Regards,

Rohini Chaudhari.

• 4. Re: Can we create a system user using BSA? : BSA 8.5
                Bill Robinson

if you want to add an existing user to a blpackage and then deploy that, you of course need to first create the user.  you can do that natively in the os or via nsh/nexec of whatever os commands would create the user.