2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 1:20 PM by Yanick Girouard

Concept of 'Install Records' for installed Products

James Donohue

Hi,

The current Software Deployment system that I use, has the concept of Install Records. What that is, is a record that gets created after a Product has been successfully installed on a Server. So, when a new Release of Software(bundle of many Products deployed sequentially) gets deployed, some Product versions that have been previously deployed may reside on Servers. To accommodate and bypass installing any Product versions that have already been installed, the Software Distribution System first looks at an "Install record" in the Database. If it finds one that matches the Product version, it skips attempting to install the software.

Does BL Server Automation accommodate this type of scenario? I know BL Packages are recorded and can be used for Audit / Compliance but I haven't seen a method that can be leveraged to bypass installing 'already installed' software without creating an enormous Script.

• 1. Re: Concept of 'Install Records' for installed Products
          Bill Robinson

well, if you are using native OS packages that would be one way to handle this outside of depending on any external system to track it and then you can query the os's tracking database to figure out what is installed.  imo that is the preferred way.

you can use compliance for this too - you can write a rule that looks for the latest version of the software installed by file md5sum, etc and then if it's not there push the new version as remediation.

• 2. Re: Concept of 'Install Records' for installed Products
            Yanick Girouard

"I haven't seen a method that can be leveraged to bypass installing 'already installed' software without creating an enormous Script."

That's because there isn't any sort of out of the box integration to do this. As Bill suggested, it could be possible to deploy software conditionally using compliance jobs and auto-remediation. There would need to be an extended object in the template that fetches the version info from that database you're referring to, and then you could use the info in compliance rules to only apply the remediation (install the software) if the version to installed isn't already installed...

But that comes back to what you mentioned about creating enormous scripts...