1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2018 4:30 PM by Anne Brock

Like vs Helpful

LJ LongWing

It has occurred to me that to Like a post, and to mark a post helpful are similar things...but they operate entirely differently from each other, and I don't know if we need both.

Like- when a post is liked, the like counter goes up...the person doing the liking gets points, the person getting liked gets points, it's a happy community.

Helpful - again, the counter goes up, points are distributed around appropriately...but a helpful does something a like doesn't do...and I find it annoying, it takes a post and puts it back in my inbox, just like if someone replied to it or something.

Now...why do we need both?  Does the additional 'functionality' of the helpful help anyone?....is it of some sort of benefit to put it back in the inbox?

• 1. Re: Like vs Helpful
          Anne Brock

I don't care if we have both. But I would "like" if "helpful" didn't generate an email!

3 of 3 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Like vs Helpful
            Jason Miller

Helpful

3 of 3 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Like vs Helpful
              LJ LongWing

An example....here is a discussion that happened 3 years ago, someone marked a response as helpful, and it notified me....nothing new was added, nothing new was done that should move it to my inbox for review....yet, there it is

• 4. Re: Like vs Helpful
                LJ LongWing

And here is another one.  A discussion that happened 5 years ago, again, nothing added/changed...just someone marked something helpful...good for that person, they should get points for someone doing that...but do I really need to be notified about it because I follow the group it was done in?

• 5. Re: Like vs Helpful
                  LJ LongWing

I'm just trying to figure out what the advantage of creating a notification for this activity is....

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Like vs Helpful
                    Anne Brock

The "helpful" notifications need to be stopped... so tired of them.

• 7. Re: Like vs Helpful
                      Jason Miller

Hi Matt Laurenceau,

Can you explain the thought behind having both like and mark as helpful? I am figuring you and the Communities team have worked out the reasoning for both and their respective behaviors but I am not sure users value them as much as the team managing Communities might expect.

It seems like there is only a subtle difference between the two but I am not sure it is enough to warrant having both. Factor in the notification when something is marked helpful and helpful has become a bit of a pain.

LJ LongWing and I were discussing this earlier today. It came up because I keep liking and marking his replies as helpful, which show up in his Inbox. Liking is a consolidated list of likes (1 item in the Inbox  for many likes) but the helpful replies are each separate Inbox items instead of consolidated. I often like one of his replies because I "like" what he said and that he took the time to reply. Not quite as often, but still pretty frequently, I mark his replies as helpful because he gave valuable information. In this case I just added two entries to his Inbox for the same reply (assuming he had already read his last "Latest Acclaim"). Additionally the helpful notification showed up in the Inboxes of people following the space/thread and an email if they are receiving emails (like Anne Brock).

Each time you have looked at my Inbox, you have scolded me for having 50+ items (it actually goes back months and years so it is way worse than 50+). I have to think I would have an easier time keeping up on my inbox if it did not have all of the entries for helpful replies. Like LJ pointed out above, many of the helpful Inbox entries are from replies made years ago so why should I have to wade through those in my Inbox?

Thanks!

Jason

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Like vs Helpful
                        Anne Brock

Oh, I always have 50+ items in my inbox! guess that's because I do email...

"Like" doesn't generate an email. "helpful" does. Neither should generate individual emails....

There are times I'll search for "helpful" in the folder that all my communities emails go to and just delete all of them before I start looking thru the list of emails...but it's so annoying to have to do that.

I'm fine keeping both Like and Helpful. But stop the notifications!

• 9. Re: Like vs Helpful
                          Jason Miller

NOTE: I so want to mark your last two replies as helpful but I don't want to torment you (like I torment LJ).

• 10. Re: Like vs Helpful
                            Anne Brock

Jason Miller wrote:

NOTE: I so want to mark your last two replies as helpful but I don't want to torment you (like I torment LJ).

ROFL! I appreciate your thoughtfulness!

• 11. Re: Like vs Helpful
                              Rick Westbrock

Wouldn't it be great if Jive allowed the user to configure whether or not Likes and Helpfuls created an Inbox item? I am sure some users might disable both...

• 12. Re: Like vs Helpful
                                Stefan Hall

Hi PowerUsers,

with thousands and thousands of points , a small but important detail can be overlooked:

Like- when a post is liked, the like counter goes up...the person doing the liking gets points, the person getting liked gets points, it's a happy community.

The person getting likes for their comments got NO points. He/she is the only person who got nothing for taking time to reply. The person doing the liking gets 2 points for one click.

I asked BMC, if this would make any sense ... and ... yes - how could it be otherwise - it works as designed.

BOT, Notification for "helpful" seems useless for the person who wrote the comment. "helpful" as a flag for content-related helpful information is more powerful than a simply liking the text. I use it generally to find the correct comments.

• 13. Re: Like vs Helpful
                                  LJ LongWing

it is the notification for helpful that I'm at odds with.  The notification for helpful doesn't just go to the person that received the helpful, it goes to anyone following the thread AND anyone following the community that the thread is in, and the most important part of this is that it provides NOTHING relevant to the topic at hand...yes, if you are going back and finding the topic years later, it can be useful to know which replies were more helpful than others...no problem with that...but the notification is garbage....

• 14. Re: Like vs Helpful
                                    Stefan Hall

Lj,

you're right, the notification is garbage!

Though no worse than giving no points for people wroting comments. Our community live from such people, without comments nobody can click "like".

What can be done ... hmm ... in the words of BMC: You are right but have to raise an idea for stopping the notification, wait for enough points and then probably we will change it with any further release. Lj, you know the timeline.

Oh, I forgot a small impotant detail again: Nearly all person in this threat belong to BMC . I hope you can change stupid things easier than any customer like me and the missing points.

Good luck and the best possible start into the New Year .

1 2 Previous Next