What have you investigated so far and what were the results?
- the Application Server log snippet for the execution of the job
- a screen shot of the the Windows Catalog tab of the Catalog Depot Object definition
I have checked the appserver log. Please find the below screenshot :
and the screenshot for Windows Catalog tab :
As there was a message in appserver log that 'Authentication Connection closed' I have checked the users.local file where there was an entry like #BLAdmins:BLAdmin rw,map=Administrator. So, I have removed the ' # ' from it ,started the RCSD agent service and tried updating the patch catalog and it got updated to 100% successfully with warning.
Please reply any suggestion.
The job failed "permission denied"
From the Job Definition screen shot we can now see that the location is defined as your Windows Helper Server (probably - as you have obfuscated part of the messages, we must assume they are the same)
The screen shot from the application server log does not show the execution of this job, so is of no help.
If we can get the correct log, it will show us the user and role that executed the job.
The next step will be to look at the /rsc files and the rscd.log on the Windows Helper Server to see what OS user this mapped to, and then we can check access levels at the path.