9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2017 8:48 AM by Michael Galat

Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE

Michael Galat

Hi -

I am in the process of setting up a 9.1 mid tier to point to my 8.1.02 Development ARS server for testing.  I have installed 64-bit Java (JDK and JRE).  To be current, I am using the latest Java that there is - 1.8.0_112.  I have installed the JDK, and then set up the JRE to reside outside the jdk folder:

In the installer for the mid tier, I use the prepopulated 64-bit JRE path:

I click next.  Then after some contemplation I receive:

Which seems a bit amusing to me, as 1.8 patch 112 is later than 1.8 patch 45!

Any ideas as to what the issue may be?

Thanks!

Mike

• 1. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
          scott philben

I have seen the same thing in some of my installs (we are trying to use 1.8.0_101). My theory is that they only coded for the first 2 digits after the underscore (1.8.0_112). Because what kind of useless software would need 100 updates? Right?

So now their check only returns 11. Which is clearly less than 45.

It will start working again at 1.8.0_450...

Anyone at BMC want to confirm?

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
            NR Official

I have seen issue with Java version..

Try with java less than 100..it works !!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
              Curtis Gallant

Yes it seems to simply be a bug in BMCs installer itself.  So you can either install a < 100 version and then 'upgrade' java to the recent > 100 release after install (you'll need to then update tomcats java paths likely unless you symlink your folders) or install tomcat on your own which is perfectly happy with > 100 java version and just use the BMC installer to install Midtier pointing to the existing tomcat instance which I always recommend due to the bundled tomcat version in BMCs installers being quite old... just don't go Tomcat 8.5 branch yet as I've run into various issues in my own testing related to cookie errors so stick with the latest 8.0.x release if you go this route.

Cheers,

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                Jason Miller

There is a knowledge article on the installer Java issue. KnowledgeArticle - BMC

I too use a symlink for all of my Java processes so when I updated Java I only need to update the symlink instead of all my config. This made it very easy to install < 100 version of Java and then updated after running the Remedy installer.

For those that haven't used symlinks in Windows here is an example of creating the symlink in Windows (run as an Administrator):

mklink /J "C:\Program Files\Java\jre" "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_72"

• 5. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                  Michael Galat

Thanks to all that responded.  I have successfully downloaded and installed 1.8.0_92, continued the install.  I then updated the BMC supplied tomcat to use version 1.8.0_112, which it seems happy about!

For all those that use Symlinks, is it required to format the name of the symlink to an actual Java 'like' name (jre1.8.0_xx where xx >= 45), or would it be possible to name it something like "CurrentHome64" and then point it to the correct version?  In my opinion, it would be nice to not have a version in the link.

Thanks,

Mike

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                    Curtis Gallant

For windows installations, I normally download and extract the 'Server Version', version which doesn't have an installer, into say (for example, for version 1.8.0_105) "D:\BMCSoftware\Prereq\jdk1.8.0_105" and then create a symlink like this:

mklink /J D:\BMCSoftware\Prereq\jre D:\BMCSoftware\Prereq\jdk1.8.0_105\jre

This way when I install any BMC Software or pre-requisite software like Tomcat, I use the path "D:\BMCSoftware\Prereq\jre" meaning that at any point when I want to update the JRE, I just grab the latest version of the server server, extract to the folder and change my links over and after a restart of whatever is using java and then it's on the latest version.

For non-windows it's basically the same concept as above.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

• 7. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                      sundeep Kumar

I have faced the same problem while working on 8.1 SP2 --> 9.1 Upgrade. so I created the Symbolic link using mklink /J command and it works..
                      But , be careful whenever Java on the ARS or MT upgraded to latest version you have to delete the symbolic links and re-create it followed by service Stop/Start.

Regards,

Sundeep

• 8. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                        Doug Mueller

Lots of good comments about workarounds.

There is indeed a flaw in the installer.  The test that was done assumed a 2 digit version number so it is only considering two digits of the number and the comparison is failing.  This flaw has been fixed and will be available in the 9.1 sp2 and later installers/upgrades.

3 of 3 people found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: Mid-Tier 9.1 Java problem - Invalid 64-bit JRE
                          Michael Galat

Hi All -

Thanks Doug, I have been playing with the 9.1 SP2 (and patches), and find it works fine.

I also plan on going the route of the mklink /j option to create a junction pointing to the correct version of Java.  I plan on calling it something like jre_64 to point to the 64 bit version, and one jre_32 if needed for 32 bit version.  In addition, I created a small script to update the junction - basically get the info, do a rmdir ont he current (if present) and then an mklink /j to create the new on.

Thanks,

Mike