7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 3:16 PM by Kris Cichon

Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment

Donald McLellan
      Share This:

I'm working with a customer who has ADDM in place, and in the near future some of their enterprise systems will be migrating to a Cloud solution. They have asked me whether ADDM or BMC Discovery would be able to perform in this type of environment.

My initial thoughts are that placing a Discovery server in the same environment and connecting to our current Consolidation Server  and as long as it had the correct IP ranges and scope for the Discovery Jobs it would be no different from any of our other Virtual environments.

Have any of you performed a Cloud implementation of ADDM/Discovery?

Are there any pitfalls when implementing it in this context?

How do the Service (SI's) elements get linked or related to the infrastructure that supports them?

• 1. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment
          Carey Walker

Hi Donald,

Putting appliances in the cloud environment is technically feasible, and getting that data back to your (not in the cloud) consolidator likewise, although you might want to check out whether pumping these data volumes out of a cloud environment could have a data charge/cost issue.

The other way I have seen this requirement tackled is to look at the tools actually provisioning the cloud environment, and either use them as a pseudo discovery source, OR look at whether BMC Discovery can use this tool's 'data' and not actually have to go 'into' the cloud as such. There are obvious limitations with this approach but also benefits from its relative simplicity. I'm thinking of solutions like vmWare vRealize etc. here.

The other thing about cloud resources, is the highly dynamic side of it - if you are using the cloud to auto-scale resources, how timely does your 'point in time' view of these resources need to be?

• 2. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment
            Donald McLellan

Thanks Carey for you comments.

My thinking on the traffic were along the lines of having a VPN to a non-Cloud network for ADDM, but I guess the Cloud provider would have to be amenable to different charges in the end. I think there also might be different circumstances depending if your Cloud provider is supplying a Private or Public cloud offering.

The tools you mention in the second paragraph, were you referring to the API's supplied bi most cloud providers? In which case I was wondering if it would be possible to tap into the API for discovering the "Service" CI/SI and it's relation to the cloud infrastructure. I think it would be awesome if someone came up with a TKU which could supply that ability, ( i.e. Querying:- AWS,Google Cloud,Azure,IBM Softlayer) to discover in the Cloud ...

I agree with what you're saying in the last paragraph, and I guess the big determinant factors are the size of the operation and the stability of the platform in the cloud.

Am I on the same track as you or have I missed your point?

• 3. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment
              Carey Walker

For the tools providers I was thinking about provisioning like vRealize where you typically have a repository of what should be in the cloud and COULD theoretically be mined by something like BMC Disco. Might be a dumb

idea but similar things have been done for other parts if the estate. With regards to the volatility question, it's kind of like trying to track virtual servers in a vMotion world - is it worth the effort and do you care exactly how many virtual servers there are as long as the service tells you its ok? Sent from TypeApp

• 4. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment

Hello Donald (and Carey),

We are implementing new infrastructure in IBM's SoftLayer to host an ITSM 9.1 implementation that will run in parallel with an existing older version for a period of time. The existing version of Remedy/ITSM is hosted on older infrastructure that is fed CI data by BMC Discovery. We are planning to use the current Discovery solution to also "find" CI data/ & topology of the new virtual infrastructure.

I'll report back once we are further in to the project.

• 5. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment
                  Carey Walker

Hi Chris. Hope you are doing well. So is SoftLayer in your environment all cloud or a mixture of hosted physical and cloud or???

• 6. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment

Yes the new infrastructure we're implementing, which is all in the IBM (SoftLayer) Cloud (virtual and physical servers, load balancers, comms devices, etc) and the apps running on it, will be discovered by the current on-premises implementation of ADDM.

• 7. Re: Has anyone used ADDM/BMC Discovery to discover CI's in a Cloud environment
                      Kris Cichon

In our environments we have managed to simply extend discovery ranges to the IP subnets represented by Azure ..

And we are getting a typical SSH or WMI based discovery for the existing Azure Hosts ..

We have a custom attribute .. XXX_location which classified them for us as AZURE assets ..

We are also considering switching to use AZURE CLOUD CREDENTIALS to scan these assets but since it requires certain investment ..we would like to know ( same as you) .. what would be a discovery advantages of having this type of discovery set over classical "direct" SSH or WMI scanning.

I may imagine that BMC would not be happy forthcoming with such true comparison, but maybe one of you guys has exercised both strategies and can share.

I may add .. that having some funcy "boxes" populates inside the GUI does not really flip a switch for us ;-)...

Thank You in advance for your help .

Kris Cichon

ADDM Administrator

HCSC- BlueCross Blue Shield of IL