1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2016 10:09 AM by Chris Forzaglia

Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products

Chris Forzaglia

I'm trying the new Installation System.  From what I can tell, just about every product we own is back-leveled at least one version from what is available.  What I'm not sure about is the best approach to upgrading.  I suppose I could create a "Project" and include every single product in it.  I'm guessing that will get me everything I can imagine I would need.  However, I can envision this getting too convoluted, and something going terribly wrong with that big-bang approach.  Does anyone have a suggestion on the best order of installation?  Should I do all at once, pick them off one Product per “Project”, or some combination thereof?

Under the “BMC MainView Products” panel I think I have all these Product Address Spaces (PAS's) to upgrade:

CMF(R) MONITOR                              6.0.00   CMF - From 5.9

MainView for z/OS                           3.2.00   BEH - From 3.1

MainView for CICS                           6.7.00   BDR - From 6.5

MainView for UNIX System Services           1.7.00   BFH - From 1.9

MainView AutoOPERATOR                       7.4.01   MAO - From 7.3.01

MainView SYSPROG Services                   3.8.00   C#4 - From 3.7

MAINVIEW(R) FOCAL POINT                     1.2.01   BDQ - Unsure the Version I am on

Additionally I saw these Products and I'm not sure where they equate in the broad scope.

MainView Infrastructure                     6.1.00   BFV (Which must be some main Task and may hold Alarm Management)

BMC MainView Monitoring                     6.1.00   MVO (Not sure if this holds the CAS or the UAS's or neither or both?)

• 1. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
          Fred Novakov

Hi Chris,

All at once, especially with the product grouping you describe above.     One project pick all the components you have listed including the MainView Infrastructure.

I would not choose MainView Monitoring, unless you have a license/password for it.     MainView Monitoring has CMF, MV for z/OS, SYSPROG Services, and MV for USS packaged together.

You can see what is included in a product selection when in the installer by putting an I next to the product/solution.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

• 2. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
            Chris Forzaglia

Thanks that was extremely helpful.  Of course I've moved to the next step and now I'm not sure the best approach to the SMP/e CSI questions...

I just did the Install Tool Install and created 3 CSI's for that (Global, Target, DLIB) and now I've created this Project and I'm wondering if I can/should use the same CSI.

Can/Should all my products in my Project go in the Same CSI/Zones as the Install Tool?

What stinks is I used the naming convention I wanted to use for the Product Installs for the Install Tool Install.  It's really messing with my OCD.

I used SMPE.BMC.MV.*.CSI for the Install Tool and I wanted to use that name for the products.

Now I'm wondering how/if each product will have their own runtime libraries.

• 3. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
              Fred Novakov

Chris,

DO NOT use the same CSI for the install system and the product install.

You will want to keep it separate because from now on someone will apply maintenance to the installer before doing another install or applying maintenance.    The installer will not have to be reinstalled, just maintained.

The product CSI will probably be replaced the next time an update is done, so you want to keep the product environment separate.

Fred.

• 4. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                Chris Forzaglia

Thanks Fred - I'm literally jumping from manual to manual trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

Never having done this before and not having any documentation or history has been a real challenge.  I'm doing a lot of guessing and taking lots of defaults.  it would be nice if there was some way to see what all these options were set to for the last install.

• 5. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                  Fred Novakov

Chris,

Yes that is a challenge.   If you could find the old install libraries (hlq.INSTALL and hlq.LOAD) you might be able to retrace the steps, but I'm not sure that would be a good use of your time.  

I think you are on the right path.    One tip.   You should have UBBPARM datasets (hopefully just one) you are running with today.   These contain most if not all of the MainView configuration.    Do not replace these with new datasets.

What you should be able to do is complete the SMPE work.   Point all your started task to new runtime libraries and bring up the products on the new releases.

You can go through the configuration steps and generate new parameter members to compare to what is running, but that is something that can take a back seat to getting up on the latest releases.    Generally the parameters don't change much and you would be looking for new feature/functions that have been added.    Always good to review them, but again this something that can be done after the fact and should not hold up bring the new releases up.

Fred.

• 6. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                    Fred Novakov

Chris,

Early on you listed the products you were installing.   How did you come up with this list?     Do you have the BMC product order form or contract?    This is actually the best guide to determine which products you choose when running the OZI installer.    BMC packages MainView in a way that a singe line item, might include many products.   So when presented with the panel to select products using the BMC contract is one of the best ways to make sure you install all of the products that are being paid for by matching the name on the contract with a name on the installation product panel.

Probably should have mentioned this in one of my first replies, but I was in a hurry to keep you moving forward.    An associate of mine (Thanks Martin) read the posts and mentioned it to me, so I thought I would pass it on. 

Regards,

Fred.

• 7. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                      Chris Forzaglia

Hey Fred. Thanks for the note...

This is actually something I wish I had.  I've been doing a lot of guessing and trying to group things in some order.  I know we have a bunch of products from BMC and probably a few I don't even know about.  Just during this install, some product apparently needs BiiZ which I've never heard of.  I'm also making some assumptions that the Job Optimizer Suite of products is 'different' enough to put in a separate Install Project.  We also have iCap which someone else on the team administers so I neglected that one.  We also have the Control-M suite that I've installed before but obviously didn't use this Installation Utility, if it's even an option.

I guess I should probably find this Order Form or Contract somewhere, but I'm not sure it will help me determine which products should get installed in a "Project".

• 8. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                        Fred Novakov

Chris,

What company are you working with?    Maybe I can help with the product mix and how to divide and conquer. 

Doing all the products is not possible as Control/M does not use the installer used for MainView products.

Some of it comes down to how many load libraries do you want/need and how are they set up today.   Does the Batch Optimizer run out of the same load library as the MainView monitors.

You mentioned BiiZ ... it is a subset of AutoOPERATOR, so if you installed AutoOPERATOR you'll have BiiZ.

You referenced BMC MainView Monitoring in your initial post this is an example of a product grouping, It include CMF, MainView for z/OS, MainView for Unit System Services and MainView SYSPROG Services.

Fred.

• 9. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                          Chris Forzaglia

We are First Citizens Bank.  I could always create a ticket with BMC Support if I knew exactly what I needed.

I could probably narrow our products down to about 3 Load Libraries:

**BMC.BBLINK - Most MainView Products (CMF, MainView for z/OS, MainView for Unix System Services and MainView SYSPROG Services.  As well as MainView for CICS, AutoOPERATOR for z/OS, FOCAL POINT, AutoOPERATOR for CICS, and a MainView Alarm Manager)

**BMC.BMCLINK - Total Object Manager

**BSS.LINKLIB - Optimizer Suite (Batch, Job, Pipes, and XJS)

• 10. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                            Fred Novakov

Chris,  

Ok ... I reviewed your Account and I think I have a pretty good handle on what you have.

If I were you I would include TOM(Total Object Manager) into the BMC.BBLINK library.   TOM is a component of AutoOPERATOR for z/OS and should be installed and maintained together.

Keep MVBO separate based on the way it is running now, so install it into its own CSI.  And use a separate Project for it.

I also noticed a license for MainView for Linux - Servers.   Not sure if you are using that.   It would go with the MainView monitors.

Then you have iCAP.    I would add that in with the MainView monitors as well.

So CSI Global, DLIB and Target for MainView, iCAP and this includes AO/TOM.    Project1

Another CSI Global, DLIB and Target for Batch Optimizer.     Project2

Then there was the Control/M products which have a completely different install mechanism and should stay separate.

Hope this helps,

Fred.

• 11. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                              Chris Forzaglia

Very helpful - Thanks!  I'll let you know what happens when I get there again.  ( Since I am starting over )

I will add iCap and TOM/AutoOPERATOR for z/OS in with this first project with "MainView Monitors".  I suppose it won't hurt to include Linux even though I don't think we use it.

Do you know if MainView for CICS, FOCAL POINT, and AutoOPERATOR for CICS are packaged together somehow?  Should they be in a separate Project?

• 12. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                                Fred Novakov

Chris,

They should all be in the same project.

MainView monitors(including AO) all use the same infrastructure.    So doing the install in one project is the cleanest way to get this done.    I was afraid a restart was in your future.     I’m working on getting someone to help you.   Trish Nolan is the software consultant who support First Citizens.     I’ve reached out to her about contacting you.     A WebEx or 2 will get you over these startup issues and keep you from restarting again.

It’s part of our jobs as software consultants to assist customers with the installation, so take advantage of it.    I’ll admit that our install could be a lot more intuitive, but with Trish’s help I think you will find it not too difficult.     And it will go a lot quicker.  ☺

Regards,

Fred.

• 13. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                                  Chris Forzaglia

That would be great Fred.  It's always good to have someone who knows it by your side, so not only will it be quicker, but it will look good and make sense in the end.  Product Suites are tough

Thanks again for all your help!

• 14. Re: Is there a suggested approach to the Installation of the MainView Products
                                    Fred Novakov

Chris,

Can you shoot me your contact information, email/phone?

I could look it up, but this will save me time.

Have a good weekend,

Fred.

1 2 Previous Next