5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2016 3:45 AM by Jim Wilson

New Windows 'Servicing Model'

Jim Campbell

Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 – Windows for IT Pros

Will this have any effect on how Bladelogic/Shavlik handle patching?  Other than the 'you must install all the KBs' this sounds like it will simplify things but since it is coming from Microsoft I am pre-conditioned to expect pain from any change.

• 1. Re: New Windows 'Servicing Model'
          Bill Robinson

Afaik Microsoft already releases the rollup patches for some oses and those work fine so there should be no difference other than needing to install the entire bundle.

• 2. Re: New Windows 'Servicing Model'
            Steffen Kreis

The only thing i am not really sure about right now is this part.

Security-only updates

Also from October 2016 onwards, Windows will release a single Security-only update. This update collects all of the security patches for that month into a single update. Unlike the Monthly Rollup, the Security-only update will only include new security patches that are released for that month. Individual patches will no longer be available. The Security-only update will be available to download and deploy from WSUS, SCCM, and the Microsoft Update Catalog. Windows Update will publish only the Monthly Rollup – the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update. The security-only update will allow enterprises to download as small of an update as possible while still maintaining more secure devices.

I really wonder wonder if Shavlik will be able to get hold of them.

Steffen

• 3. Re: New Windows 'Servicing Model'
              Bill Robinson

The security and security+other should have different kb numbers.

• 4. Re: New Windows 'Servicing Model'
                Steffen Kreis

Yeah,

i am more concerend if we will be able to get hold of them (and Shavlik) since there seem to be some restrictions.

"the Security-only update will not be published to Windows Update"

"...will allow enterprises to download as small of an update..."

I am not sure what's the official word for the file-locations which we grab today when we download patches from MS.

Steffen

• 5. Re: New Windows 'Servicing Model'
                  Jim Wilson

We asked Shavlik about that and they don't anticipate their being any problem accessing download links

1 of 1 people found this helpful