1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2016 12:05 AM by Sayan Roy

Reports from BSA

Sayan Roy

Hi I am looking for importing reports from BSA which would have the following information:

Report 1:

• Server Name
      • OS running
      • OS version
      • Service Pack

Report 2:

• How many hot-fixes and patches has been applied to the each servers and what are those? (patch reports)

Can someone help me how to achieve this? Drill down these information and generate report server-basis. Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sayan

• 1. Re: Reports from BSA
          Jim Wilson

BMC Decision Support for Server Automation (BDSSA) is the reporting tool for BSA:

Home - BMC Decision Support for Server Automation 8.8 - BMC Documentation

• 2. Re: Reports from BSA
            Sayan Roy

Thank you Jim, but can I create such custom reports with the above fields only from BDSSA?

• 3. Re: Reports from BSA
              Jim Wilson

That depends upon your punctuation:

can I create such custom reports with the above fields only, from BDSSA?

Yes, you can use BDSSA to create custom reports with only the fields you mention

can I create such custom reports with the above fields, only from BDSSA?

No.  Other than BDSSA, you may be able to use BLCLI to get the data that you need.  Also, in BSA 8.8 there is Live Reporting for Patch Management, that *may* provide what you need

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Reports from BSA
                Sayan Roy

Thanks Jim so much.

• 5. Re: Reports from BSA
                  Christopher Blanks

I agree with Jim that BDSSA is the easiest way to generate this report.  If you are unable to use it for some reason, you can gather this information via NSH using blquery as well.

• 6. Re: Reports from BSA
                    Sayan Roy

Hello Chris, I have BDSSA preinstalled and configured in one of the server long back by someone else. Somehow this is not working. I login to the BDSSA portal with BDSAdmin username and select Congo Connection I get an error stating "DPR-ERR-2109 The dispatcher cannot service the request at this time. The dispatcher is still initializing. Contact your administrator if this problem persists." And I dont know how to resolve this or use this utility to pull out my required reports. BDSSA is complete new to me.

You said about gathering these info via NSH using blquery, can you please throw some light on how to do this? (I am thinking of using this Plan B as Plan A isn't working)  

• 7. Re: Reports from BSA
                      Sayan Roy

Had I used BDSSA, would these be the steps to pull out the reports?

• Creating an Agent Collection Job
                      • Creating an Inventory Discovery Job
                      • Executing the ETL process using the NSH script
                      • Create an ad-hoc report
                      • Create report views

Correct me please where I am going wrong. Did I miss anything?

• 8. Re: Reports from BSA
                        Christopher Blanks

Here is a blquery for your report 1 that returns csv output:

% blquery -h WINSRV LINSRV -e 'sprintf ("\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\"", $HOSTNAME, os_name(), os_release(), os_patch())'

"WINSRV","Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise","Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise","SP1"

"LINSRV","RedHat","AS4","2.6.9-103.ELsmp"

There used to be a nice PDF with BSA NSH commands listed (including blquery), but I cannot find a newer version than for 8.1.  You can do 'man blquery' from an NSH session to get the information, but I found the PDF easier to use personally.  Someone else on this community may know where a newer version is, or I can certainly share the older on that I have.

I'll try to cobble your report two together as I have time, but it has been a busy week...  :$

-Chris

• 9. Re: Reports from BSA
                          Christopher Blanks

Here is a pretty simple example of a blquery that returns server name, patch name, description, and install date in csv format.

% cat sayan.blq

patch_record_count ('NAME = "*" &&

printf ("\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\",\"%s\"\n",

$HOSTNAME, NAME, DESCRIPTION,

if (DATE <= 0,

"Unknown install date", show_date (DATE, "%m/%d/%Y")))

')

% blquery -h WINSVR -E sayan.blq

"WINSVR","KB981111","Update","02/04/2014"

"WINSVR","KB981390","Update","02/04/2014"

"WINSVR","KB981391","Update","02/04/2014"

"WINSVR","KB981392","Update","02/04/2014"

"WINSVR","KB982018","Update","02/04/2014"

I hope this is close.

Good luck!!!

-Chris

• 10. Re: Reports from BSA
                            Sayan Roy

It will be great if you can share even the older version of the document.  

• 11. Re: Reports from BSA
                              Christopher Blanks

Here is the version of the document that I have.  Again, I would LOVE to have an updated copy, but I have yet to find one.

Good luck and happy scripting!!!

-Chris

• 12. Re: Reports from BSA
                                Jim Wilson

The man pages are intended to replace the PDF. 

• 13. Re: Reports from BSA
                                  Greg Wojan

Jim,

I have to agree with Chris -- the PDF version of the man pages is very useful because I can search them from Windows Explorer. Most of the document looks like someone simply troff'd the man pages.

In addition to updated versions of ZSH/NSH it would be really nice if BMC could provide updated versions of the docs in PDF format.

--Greg

• 14. Re: Reports from BSA
                                    Jim Wilson

The list of available command is here:

Summarized descriptions of Network Shell commands

Apart from the NSH Commands Reference, you can get PDF version of all of the docs from the Wiki Docs pages

As far as I know, the NSH Commands Reference  as man pages in entirely consistent with any other shell

A Google search of "convert man page to PDF " leads to plenty of results if you want to "roll your own"

You are very welcome to create an IDEA to request a PDF of the man pages be provided directly by BMC - if it gets sufficient support, the Product Managers will give it due consideration

1 2 Previous Next