5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 9:06 AM by Bill Robinson

Upgrade RSCD agent to an active daemon

Todd McDaniel

Having just left supporting HP Server Automation for the last 3.5 years and returning to BSA, I have a few questions about the RSCD Agent.

It appears that the agent is still passive and only receives commands from the appserver. It does not actively send data or ping to maintain its "agent is alive" status the appserver. Also, when the agents are installed manually, and the owners do not notify the BSA team of their existence, how can they ever be brought in to BSA without an additional software deployed to discover them? as is the case in my environment.

When will the RSCD agent be upgraded to an active daemon that reports back to the appserver and self-reports when an agent is installed on a server in a subnet where other managed devices are already being managed? Must we rely on purchasing a product suite for something that already exists technologically speaking?

In a world of automation, it would make an admin's life easier, eliminating repetitive tasks or managing scheduling jobs to refresh the environment, especially whenever client admins are patching or weekly compliance reporting jobs where server registration in the tool is critical. At my former company we spent at least 1-2 hours a day partly because of our antiquated network but also because we supported many remote client DCs as well and some of which had proxy connections making timeouts an issue.

in addition, it would save a greatly mitigate the amount of time that end user admins spend opening tickets to the BSA team to determine why a server is offline in BSA.

Having an intelligent agent would greatly reduce or eliminate most or all of these issues.

Has the development team ever discussed creating an agent that is more than a mere listener? if so, for how long? If not, why not? Is there some infrastructure issue with having an active RSCD daemon?