14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2016 12:21 PM by Edwin Lindeman

OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream

Edwin Lindeman

Hey guys

Has anyone successfully imported OpenScap for RHEL 7?  This is the version that is compatible for 1.2.  I've attempted to import the single XML in and I keep getting the message "the root element of the document is not <xsd:schema>". I've tried making a few changes to the XML without success.

If anyone has successfully imported this into your BSA Server environment (8.7 or 8.6) please let me know.  We're working on a task that we're wanting to use OpenScap for RHEL 7.

Best Regards

• 1. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
          Bill Robinson

Openscap for rhel7 from who? DISA? link ?

• 2. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
            Edwin Lindeman

This is for compliance and installed it via yum and pulled the ssg xml and attempted to import it into the console.

Thank you

• 3. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
              Bill Robinson

Installed what ?

• 4. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                Edwin Lindeman

OpenScap Base - yum install openscap-scanner    ..it creates a folder in /usr/share/xml/scap/ssg/content  folder contains multiple xml files and one of them is ssg-rhel7-ds.xml .  Took the XML file and attempted to added to the console as a 1.2 SCAP file.

Thank you

• 5. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                  Bill Robinson

Afaik you need the xccdf, cpe, cpe-oval to create the scap bundle in bsa.  do you have those ?

• 6. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                    Edwin Lindeman

Hi Bill since this was a datastream file I thought you only needed this one XML. I thought those other files you mentioned were only applied to lower versions like 1.0. 

I don't have the other files mentioned. 

Thank you

• 7. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                      Daniel Goetzman

You can use the oscap utility to see if the file is a SCAP 1.2 Datastream format, or not...

Like this;

# oscap info BMC-IT_SCAP-1.2_SDS.xml

Document type: Source Data Stream

Imported: 2016-06-30T09:08:25

Stream: scap_org.open-scap_datastream_from_xccdf_Edited-CIS_Microsoft_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Benchmark_v1.1.0-xccdf.xml

Generated: (null)

Version: 1.2

Checklists:

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_Edited-CIS_Microsoft_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Benchmark_v1.1.0-xccdf.xml

Profiles:

xccdf_org.cisecurity.benchmarks_profile_Level_1_-_Domain_Controller

xccdf_org.cisecurity.benchmarks_profile_Level_1_-_Member_Server

Referenced check files:

CIS_Microsoft_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Benchmark_v1.1.0-oval.xml

system: http://oval.mitre.org/XMLSchema/oval-definitions-5

Checks:

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_CIS_Microsoft_Windows_Server_2012_R2_Benchmark_v1.1.0-oval.xml

No dictionaries.

Might also be interesting to use the oscap validate option to see if the xml file is valid?

• 8. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                        Bill Robinson

Maybe you need to separate out the individual files to import into bsa.

• 9. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                          Edwin Lindeman

Thanks Daniel, I'll try that

• 10. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                            Edwin Lindeman

Thanks Bill, If I can't get the ds file to import properly I'll give that a shot and see if that makes a difference.

• 11. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                              Edwin Lindeman

My verification :

Document type: Source Data Stream

Imported: 2016-07-05T14:48:54

Stream: scap_org.open-scap_datastream_from_xccdf_ssg-rhel7-xccdf-1.2.xml

Generated: (null)

Version: 1.2

Checklists:

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_ssg-rhel7-xccdf-1.2.xml

Generated: 2016-05-11

Resolved: true

Profiles:

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_standard

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_pci-dss

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_C2S

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_rht-ccp

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_common

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_stig-rhel7-server-upstream

xccdf_org.ssgproject.content_profile_ospp-rhel7-server

Referenced check files:

ssg-rhel7-oval.xml

http://www.redhat.com/security/data/oval/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_7.xml

Checks:

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_ssg-rhel7-oval.xml

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_output--ssg-rhel7-cpe-oval.xml

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_output--ssg-rhel7-oval.xml

Dictionaries:

Ref-Id: scap_org.open-scap_cref_output--ssg-rhel7-cpe-dictionary.xml

I also validate the XML was in correct format.

• 12. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                                Bill Robinson

hmm - it looks like the 1.2 import should take the single file.

so i get the same issue i think, in the appserver log i see a bunch of warnings:

[06 Jul 2016 11:33:05,262] [Client-Connections-Thread-4] [WARN] [BLAdmin:BLAdmins:192.168.52.53] [com.bladelogic.om.scap.xccdf.xml.XmlParser] [Client] schema_reference.4: Failed to read schema document 'oval-definitions-schema.xsd', because 1) could not find the document; 2) the document could not be read; 3) the root element of the document is not <xsd:schema>.

but i think we can ignore those, then:

[06 Jul 2016 11:33:05,404] [Client-Connections-Thread-4] [ERROR] [BLAdmin:BLAdmins:192.168.52.53] [com.bladelogic.om.scap.datastream.io.DataStreamInterpreter] [Client] Invalid component reference for a component

[06 Jul 2016 11:33:05,405] [Client-Connections-Thread-4] [ERROR] [BLAdmin:BLAdmins:192.168.52.53] [com.bladelogic.om.scap.service.SCAPImportServiceImpl] [Client] Error importing scap content from /opt/bmc/bladelogic/appserver/NSH/tmp/application_server/0/content/ssg-rhel7-ds.xml : (2023) Invalid component reference for a component

seems like something support should look at.

• 13. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                                  Edwin Lindeman

Thanks Bill for testing it out as well. We did issue a ticket and hopefully we can get some good results.

• 14. Re: OpenScap Import 1.2 DataStream
                                    Edwin Lindeman

We did issue the ticket with BMC and they analyzed the file and basically made one change.

<ds:component> => <component> , basically removed the ds: part of it.

Also for the RHEL 7 content had to modify the interpretor to use python 2.6 and not 2.75.

Anyhow got them to work.

Thank you