10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2016 3:22 PM by Bill Robinson

Update Server Properties Job

Daniel Suen

I have such a job, and it runs against a server with the agent installed. However, some properties are not updated (OS_RELEASE, OS_VENDOR are shown as empty, while OS is shown as "Unknown".

I saw the job was run successfully against the server. Is there any reason these properties are not being picked up properly?

Appreciate if you can help. Thanks.

Daniel.

• 1. Re: Update Server Properties Job
          Daniel Suen

Clarify: the job is created by "Administrative Task"/"Update Server Properties Job".

Daniel.

• 2. Re: Update Server Properties Job
            Bill Robinson

what options are set in the job ?

what was the log output from the job for this server?  even a green check/success doesn't mean the server was reachable during the job run.

• 3. Re: Update Server Properties Job
              Daniel Suen

All these are checked:

"Update Agent Status",

"Update Server Properties"

"Update Configuration Objects Registration".

I saw which app server is running the job, however, I tried looking into appserver.log, console.log, and some NSH/Transaction directory, and did not see any traces of it...maybe I am mistaken. Where should I locate the job files?

Daniel.

• 4. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                Bill Robinson

If you right click on the job run and do ‘show log’, navigate down to the target and what messages are seen ?

And in the rscd log on the target do you see any incoming connection from the appserver when the USP runs ?

• 5. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                  Daniel Suen

"Show Log" at the top job level, there are to INFO lines. First on starting that job with priority "NORMAL" on application server 'some_app_server_host.com'.

After "SUCCESS", there are two server children that the job ran against. Clicking on any one of the right side shows empty, not a single line of output.

Daniel.

• 6. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                    Bill Robinson

there's a blasadmin setting in 8.6 or 8.7 to not show usp log messages on 'success'.  and another one to show success if the target isn't accessible.

did you see any connection in the rscd log when the job ran ?

• 7. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                      Daniel Suen

On both servers, I saw rscd.log look like this:

/opt/bmc/bladelogic/NSH/log

[root@hostA log]# cat rscd.log

2a01080044199382edd2 0000000001 06/10/16 10:53:38.557 INFO     rscd -  hostA 3501 -1/-1 (Not_available): (Not_available): FIPS Enabled

b50ffae64ec43c89f381 0000000002 06/10/16 10:53:38.557 INFO     rscd -  hostA 3501 -1/-1 (Not_available): (Not_available): Agent version is 8.6.01.66

c9378ccff0bfdde3f919 0000000003 06/10/16 10:53:38.557 INFO     rscd -  hostA 3501 -1/-1 (Not_available): (Not_available): Platform Details: x86_64;hostA;2.6.32-573.12.1.el6.x86_64;Linux;#1 SMP Mon Nov 23 12:55:32 EST 2015;x86_64

It looks to me that the agent was never contacted...The time shown is not the same as the time the update property job is run. So, check the connection from the app server to the agents on the ports?

Daniel.

• 8. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                        Bill Robinson

Yep.  like run agentinfo from nsh started on the appserver.

• 9. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                          Daniel Suen

well, maybe the time had passed, there is no way to find out what actually happened...I tried agentinfo and it did return the data. I then re-run the job again, and the properties got picked up.

So, for these properties update, I would say, the best (with problem checking) would be to run the job via blcli_exec utiltiy command and then try to fetch the properties after the job is done to see if the required properties were populated.

Otherwise, just by running the property update job would not really tell if some properties got picked up or not. Right?

Daniel.

• 10. Re: Update Server Properties Job
                            Bill Robinson

the property update should be all or nothing.  if the agent is down, no properties should be updated other than AGENT_STATUS.