4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2016 8:50 AM by Ganesh Gore

BMC Atrium Core Web Services API Functions

Bjorn Calabuig
      Share This:

Hi List,

Just a quick question.

- Are Atrium CMDB Web Services API instance functions like "GetInstances" capable to return NON CORE attributes (i.e. Attributes created on AST:Attributes regular form)?

- Are Atrium CMDB Web Services API instance functions like "GetInstances" capable to filter instances by using NON CORE attributes (i.e. Attributes created on AST:Attributes regular form)?

There's a decision to be taken soon:

We're going to integrate via HP-BSM -> HP - DDM -> BMC Atrium CMDB:

- HP- DDM will execute a query (or filter) by means of consuming a WS contained on Atrium CMDB Web Services API.

- BMC Atrium will return only instances belonging to CIs marked with a check.

- The returned CIs will be mapped and created on HP BSM CMDB (called RTSM)

This will happen periodically.

My first approach: create the checks as NON CORE attributes (just following BMC Best Practices...)

But, I'm not sure right now (and doc doesn't explains it better...), maybe the WS API won't be capable to filter instances using a NON CORE attribute... there is no great explanation regarding attributes...

And I'm beginning to think that Customer will also want that WS API also returns the relationships between those CIs.

But not all of them: only those were parent AND child are marked by the aforementioned flags.

In this situation, I believe there are only 2 scenarios:

a) Assume that the WS API will be capable to query by NON CORE attributes. If this is true, after getting the CIs, they'll have to query again, but this time querying DEPENDENCY/COMPONENT classes in order to get those relationships where Parent and Child (or viceversa) are marked... in this situation, there will be no need to "mark relationships" only CIs...

b) If "marking relationships" is a need, I think the easiest way would be to create the checks (on all needed classes... better said, on BMC.CORE:BaseElement and BMC.CORE:BaseRelationship) and update workflow.

As far as now, I'm beginning to think it's better to create the checks as CORE fields.

But maybe someone can put some light into this?

Kind Regards,

Björn.

• 1. Re: BMC Atrium Core Web Services API Functions
          Carey Walker

Hi Bjorn

If you use the CMDB-specific APIs, I am pretty sure (but not 100%) that you won't have any visibility of the non-core attributes that are in AST:Attributes.

However, if there are web services available for the Asset side of things, you could try that option, since if the WS uses an Asset view, then it will contain the join information from both the base asset form AND AST:Attributes.

The only issue is that the AST views don't have ALL the core attributes (kind of the reverse problem), but they may have enough!

Just a thought

• 2. Re: BMC Atrium Core Web Services API Functions
            Bjorn Calabuig

Thanks Cary for your sharing your thoughts!

I'm also pretty sure that CMDB-specific APIs won't get it, but it would be nice to find some official documentation giving answers to this simple question and confirming our suspects.

Documentation talks about instances (how to query them?), retrieving attributes (which ones?)...

By the way, I don't think HP-DDM would be capable to deal with AST-Specific WS. One important think that HP-DDM will have to do is map what the query returns: instances belonging to different BMC Atrium CMDB classes (and not to information belonging to AST forms/joins) should be mapped against HP-BSM CMDB classes and also on AST, as you exposes, there will be sure problems with non existent CORE attributes...

Kind Regards,

Björn.

• 3. Re: BMC Atrium Core Web Services API Functions
              Gustavo del Gerbo

Hi Bjorn,

CMDB WS is unable to fetch any AST:Attributes, those exist only in the AST world and they make sense only if you are looking into data from the AST:Class forms, which are joins of CMDB forms and AST:Attributes. They also only make sense in BMC.ASSET dataset, while CMDB WS are usable in all your datasets.

There are ITSM WebServices though, and also the new RESTAPI that can access any form to fetch instances.

• 4. Re: BMC Atrium Core Web Services API Functions
                Ganesh Gore

I am not sure if this answer your question but it may be helpful.

cmdbdriver is a API program developed by BMC using atrium APIs.

So when you execute gi (get instance) command in cmdbdriver with all the valid parameters, It will return all the attributes. (Including custom attributes as well). You need to pass valid instance id.

Please refer below image:

cmdbdriver.jpg