3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2016 2:20 PM by Bill Robinson

windows map=SID?

Timothy Woodfill

Anyone using the Windows user account SID instead of a user name in the users.local file to map?  If so, is the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property automatically maintained or even needed?  This would serious improve windows agent availability when the admin account is different on many servers.

• 1. Re: windows map=SID?
          Bill Robinson

the sids will vary won't they ?

• 2. Re: windows map=SID?
            Timothy Woodfill

The SID for a server will not change after it is built and in a domain.  So the Windows server admins can change the name at will…

I just did a quick test of one of our dev managed system.  Changed the map=<used_sid-500> in users, and users.local, and the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property….(updating the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property was a pain – I had to type it (cut-n-paste did not work)

IT WORKS!  This is going to close a huge gap we have.  Windows admin account names on high security systems are changed at regular intervals.

Next Out of Office:

May 27th – June 1st

Timothy Woodfill

Bank of America | Chief Technology Organization | Technology Engineering, Automation, and Tools | FL9-400-03-13 Jacksonville, FL 32256 | O:(904) 464-4427 | Mobile:(904) 322-1811

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: windows map=SID?
              Bill Robinson

Oh – that’s true – i was thinking you were trying to avoid having the admin_account property set at all.