5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 27, 2016 8:06 AM by Scott Estep

I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules

Scott Estep

I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable dependency rules... for example a global variable would resolve

!IMFOJOB.CSQE035I to BBISA123.CSQE035I and if it EQ 4 then it would continue on...

So it should work like this:

If   BBISA123.CSQE035I  eq  4  then it would match as  IMFOJOB is really BBISA123

Can this be done... I can't seem to get it to work..

Thanks

Scott

• 1. Re: I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules
          Fred Novakov

Hi Scott,

I would agree this should work.   Many times it is an issue of the substitution not being what you would have expected.  IMFOJOB is not being set to BBISA123.

A useful debugging tool is provided in hlq.BBPROC.   It is a piece of REXX code that will display many of the variables available to a rule.   The member name is QAOLISTV.     I code my rule to capture the event but only execute this piece of REXX code.   I then look in the BBIJRNL to verify the variables I would like to use are indeed being set as I would expect.    Or you can write you own REXX code to display your variables.

It would help to know the event type you are trapping on and a bit more about the RULE that you are coding.

Regards,

Fred

• 2. Re: I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules
            Scott Estep

Thanks Fred, I am going to try QAOLISTV out…

As for the event type it is a MSG event..

I am still pretty new to Mainview so I am still learning what all you can do with it…

But what I am trying to do is capture a msgid and then issue a command related to it, but if it happens again within a 10 minute period don’t issue the command but notify support.  So I need to set a Global variable to know if it’s has happened once already so as to not issue the command again and then clear the global variable after 10 minutes… Since there are several of these MQ’s I was hoping to match the jobname via global variable to the actual jobname so I wouldn’t have to code several rules (if I run out of room) which are basically the same.

So in SV (Variable Dependencies) I would code:

&!IMFOJOB       eq      &IMFOJOB

Instead of having to do:

TQV3MSTR        eq      &IMFOJOB   or

TQV4MSTR        eq      &IMFOJOB   or

Etc… etc.. etc..

Make sense?

Thanks again Fred!

Scott

• 3. Re: I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules
              Gilles Robert

Hello Scott,

You can handle this requirement using 3 rules:

1- trap message when a global variable is different than yes, issue command and a delayed journal message and set a global variable.

2- trap message when global variable is yes, issue notification. Not sure if you need only one notification, if you do use criteria matching to suspend the rule for 10 minutes.

3- trap journal message (delayed for 10 minutes) to reset the global variable to NO.

For the global variable use a stem name. I suggest you use for the 1st part the message id (in case you need to do this for several messages) and the second part is the IMFOJOB of the issuing address space.

Be aware there is a parameter that affect what goes into IMFOJOB in your AAOPRMxx (MSGJOBNM)

As Fred indicated, QAOLISTV will help you determine what to use to represent the correct QMGR.

Check out these to insure you get the correct Address space name IMFOJOB, IMFXOJOB, IMFSYSID and IMFCIJOB.

Assuming IMFOJOB is correct, this should help create 3 rules:

Rule 1 in SV: !CSQE035I.IMFOJOB (the ! indicate 2 step substitution for a stem name) NE YES

Rule 1 in A1: issue the command you want

Rule 1 in A1 *Issue Msg( JRN ) ==> DLY(600):JCSQE035I RESET VARIABLE CSQE035I.&IMFOJOB

Rule 1 in AV: CSQE035I.&IMFOJOB YES

Rule 2 in SV: !CSQE035I.IMFOJOB EQ YES

Rule 2 in A1: issue your notification

Rule 3 trap JRNL, in S1: JCSQE035I

Rule 3 in SV: &WORD4  NO (word4 will match on the delayed JRN from above on the last word)

Please feel free to contact your BMC MainView SC if you would like more detail on this.

Hope this help, Gilles

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules
                Fred Novakov

Hey Scott,

I want to expand on what Gilles provided above.

Rule-id                    Stat                    Text-id                         Type

________                 _                ________________           ____

RULE1                  ENA                 IEF125I                            MSG 

RULE2                  ENA                 IEF125I                            MSG 

RULE3                  ENA                JIEF125I                          JRNL

So rule one is a message event type

rule 2 is another message event type on the same message as rule1

Rule 3 is a journal message capturing the journal message put out by rule 1 with the delay.

My final addition to what Gilles wrote is rule 3 will have an action to reset the variable to NO

AV: CSQE035I.&IMFOJOB NO

Thanks to Gilles for his solution.

Good luck with this,

Fred.

• 5. Re: I want to use a Global variable stem to check for a condition in the variable Dependency rules
                  Scott Estep

Giles/Fred, You Guys are awesome!  Thanks for all your help!  I’ll let you know how this works out.

Scott