10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2016 4:22 PM by Carey Walker

Third party event/monitoring sources

Carey Walker
      Share This:

Apologies if this doubles up an existing question/post....

Service Resolution Smart Flows has an architecture that looks like it could consume events from a third party event source. We need to do this and I'm looking for BMC guidance as to how best to tackle this. The current Service Resolution docs suggest this is possible but seem to not explore the details.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
          Ashwini Mathad

Hi Carey,

The following documentation link should help you:

Integration support for third-party products - BMC Service Resolution 3.5.00 - BMC Documentation

Do let us know if you are looking for more guidance.

Regards,

Ashwini

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
            Carey Walker

Hi Ashwini

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have a couple of questions.

1. The Process Event operation is explained in detail in part of these docs, but in another section it states 'For internal use only'. Can you clarify this?

2. Again the Process Event operation. It can be used to create an incident from a third party source if I read the docs correctly, but there is also the more complex CreateIncident operation for the web service. With the orchestration we are looking at for this integration, we could possibly use either. I'm thinking the Process Event option is intended to allow the inbound incident creation and outbound return of incident number etc for the event and that the CreateIncident option is intended as a more general way of integrating to Remedy, not necessarily from an event management system. Is this correct - what are the use cases for both options?

• 3. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
              Ashwini Mathad

Hi Carey,

1. The older BSR documentation mentioned that the Process_Event operation was for internal use only. Please refer to the latest documentation that is available online.
              2. Process_Event operation is an SOA interface, mainly intended for event management systems. Using Process_Event, one can create an incident, perform specific updates on the incident, consolidate related incidents, and also relate an event with an incident.
                Create_Incident operation is a general way of creating incidents in Remedy. This can be used by any external system for integrating with Remedy Incident Management.This operation will create an incident and return the incident ID.

Regards,

Ashwini

• 4. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                Carey Walker

Hi Ashwini This is where I saw the reference to the Process Event being Internal Use.

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/BSR35/Using+AST_CI_Unavailability_Interface+web+service

• 5. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                  Jeff DesRoches

Thanks Carey,

We haven't exposed the Process_Event for AST:CI Unavailability.  Currently Process_Event is only exposed for Incident Management. 

Regards,

Jeff

• 6. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                    Carey Walker

Ok, got it thanks. That makes sense now I think about it

Do you see the CI Unavailability and Create Incident/Process Event options being used together? We were looking at an option to have the event management system create the CI Unavailability entries probably at a different level of granularity (if that makes sense) to the creation of Incidents. e.g. the CI may record three period of unavailability in say an hour, but have only one Incident created for the root cause. That type of thing ....

• 7. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                      Jeff DesRoches

Hi Carey,

Yes, the Unavailability and Incident process do work together.  This is currently implemented in the BSR integration with TrueSight.  In TrueSight, if you have an outage policy and incident policy enabled.  When an event is generated, it will create an unplanned outage and incident against the CI and relate the two.  FYI. the binding key here is the event ID (mc_ueid) field. 

Currently we don't go into that level of granularity in the integration, we only create 1 unplanned outage for the CI if coming from an event management system.  The theory is once the CI is down, it's considered out.  So if another outage happened (from an event management system), it detects that there is already an unplanned outage for the CI and uses that.

We currently don't have the Process_event function for the CI Unavailability defined.  But if you pass the same ReconID in the CausalCI field and EventId, the workflow will look for the incident that was created by the same event an build the relationship.

• 8. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                        Carey Walker

Thanks Jeff.

I was thinking more around say 3 discrete unavailabilities (so server down three times in a given period but successfully brought up in between etc.). This starts to move into the time based correlation area I know, but just thinking this through for the reality we face right now with immature event management capabilities

Apart from some of the detailed items, our basic requirement is to plug a third party system (sadly we can't use TS10 right now, so it's HP BSM) into Remedy V9. We want to see the benefits of L2-style incidents which my current reading suggests is all possible as discussed. Can we get to L3 without TS??

• 9. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                          Jeff DesRoches

Hi Carey, you may want to create an idea (in the smartflows community) about the unavailability functionality.  This is on spot where the product managers evaluate what is put into future releases (basically an RFE).

It would be tricky to get the L3 working without TS as it's a tighter integration than L1/L2.  There are some specifics around the policies in TS and how the data is passed to ITSM.  This is why we've only documented the integration for L2 and L2 types.

Jeff

• 10. Re: Third party event/monitoring sources
                            Carey Walker

Thanks Jeff. I use the Ideas forum a lot already for other products so will think about what we are looking at a bit further and maybe put an idea forward. My only hesitation is that the idea I'm thinking about now may not be the best way/practice to handle the situation from an operational perspective.

Re TS and L3, we had pretty much come to the same conclusion, and can see from both the slot/field combinations evident in the interface form(s) and some implied TS side workflow, what we might need to do in some intermediate orchestration, without TS. Possibly not worth the custom effort. Wondering what the absolutely bare minimum TS 10 footprint would be to act as the manager of managers here and leverage all this great built in functionality. Obviously a question for our sales team locally, but just thinking out loud...