9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2016 1:49 PM by Bill Robinson

audit rpm version

Lorri Edwards

Hello - I want to audit an rpm version but do not include the Architecture

I browse to a server - navigate to RPM- right click to select Audit

I choose Audit Server Objects

Under Server Objects it lists the Name (glibc) and Type (rpm)

then under the snapshot/audit options  - everything is greyed out - so I can't uncheck Architecture (or make any other changes)

I attached a screen shot.

Anyone know why I can't change the options or another way around this. I would love to also be able to do smart groups by RPM version.

I am running BMC Server Automation 8.6.01.66

thanks for any help

• 1. Re: audit rpm version
          Bill Robinson

Why don’t you want to include the rpm version in the audit ?

Where are you trying to create smart groups of rpms?  in a catalog ?  RPM_VERSION is already property that can be used in patch smart groups.

• 2. Re: audit rpm version
            Lorri Edwards

Sorry if that was confusing - yes I want the version, I do not want the Architecture.

• 3. Re: audit rpm version
              Bill Robinson

You don’t want the arch in the audit ?  why ?  isn’t that kind of important ?

• 4. Re: audit rpm version
                Lorri Edwards

Well when I am doing an Audit it will show as inconsistent if the arch is different - all I want to know is if the version is different.

I tried to do a compliance job and I am running into the same issue. Maybe I am going about this wrong?

Also - I do not see rpm_version under the server properties - this this something I need to create?

appreciate the help

• 5. Re: audit rpm version
                  Bill Robinson

Yes, if the arch is different than it’s a different rpm.  X86_64 systems can have both x86_64 and i686/i386 rpms installed.  so you need to include the arch in those comparisons.

Where are you trying to create a rpm smart group?  in a patch catalog ?

• 6. Re: audit rpm version
                    Lorri Edwards

so there is no way to uncheck the Arch? I understand they are 2 different rpm's, however when I choose them both for the audit - only one gets put in (maybe because it is the same name)? So this is skewing the accuracy of what has the newest version, and creating a server group from the audit is inaccurate.

Oh I was trying to create the smart group under Servers. Is that not possible?

• 7. Re: audit rpm version
                      Bill Robinson

I believe this is a known issue where in the comparison in an audit the rpm arch isn’t handled properly.

I’m still not clear what you mean about creating a smart group of rpms under servers.  the only way to create a smart group of rpms is in a patch catalog – it’s  smart group of the rpms in the catalog that you would use as an include or exclude for patch analysis.

• 8. Re: audit rpm version
                        Lorri Edwards

ok so there is no way to de-select Arch? Is there any other way to get the information I want - an rpm name and version?

I thought that I would be able to create a server smart group like --> any Server WHERE rpm <this would be my list of RPM's like I have OS_release as an option>  EQUALS <this would be my list of versions>

• 9. Re: audit rpm version
                          Bill Robinson

You can’t directly create server smart groups based on stuff on the servers.  for that you can create a component template w/ the discovery condition of whatever exists, run discovery and then use the TEMPLATES* and that template as the server smart group condition.

If you really want to just have the name and version you can make an eo like “rpm –query –queryformat “%,%-%\n””, remote execution, csv grammar and use that instead of the native rpms object.