2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2016 8:55 AM by Yanick Girouard

Creating a server property using the Server property class

Yanick Girouard

I need to create a server property that would be used to associate a server with a parent server. To avoid typos and manual input errors, I would prefer using a property type that allows me to pick an existing target from the list of all servers.

I see I can do this if I use the Property Class "Server" as the type of the property, and it seems to work as I expected.

However, I'm wondering if this could cause any kind of issues down the road such as conflicts when decommissioning a server used as a value or such.

Would anyone know a reason why I should not do this ?

• 1. Re: Creating a server property using the Server property class
          Bill Robinson

I think the decom case is the main concern.  I’d have to test that but you might run into some problems w/ the decom in that case.

• 2. Re: Creating a server property using the Server property class
            Yanick Girouard

I tested in 8.7 and the decom worked. The value of the property value just stays, but you wouldn't be able to reuse it if you remove it because the server is gone from the available choices... I'm more concerned about 8.5.

test I did:

1. Created a server property using property class Server

2. Created a dummy target server

3. Set the value of the new property on another server to the dummy target

4. Added the property as a column to the group explorer view of a smartgroup so I can see it, and filtered for the server I used as a test. I could see the name of the dummy target as the value

5. Decom the dummy target, and didn't prompt for any dependencies

6. Refreshed the smartgroup and the value stayed intact, even though the dummy target is decom

I was able to edit the value without problems...