1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2019 8:41 AM by Harveensingh Oberoi

Chatconfusion

Share This:

Virtual Chat, Virtual Agent, BMC/Remedy Chat, Openfire Chat, Chatter...I really feel like I am fighting against something that does not want to be understood:)

After some searching this is what I am guessing:

- The out-of-box ITSM chat uses Openfire (which was introdused in 7.6.04?). This can be integrated with SmartIT (and MyIT?): Installing - BMC Remedy with Smart IT 1.3 - BMC Documentation

- The originally BMC/Remedy Chat (in v8.0), was renamed Virtual Agent (in 8.1 and 9.0), and then renamed Virtual Chat (in 9.1). This can also be integrated with MyIT and SmartIT on the customer side of the interface using java servlets for both the agent and the chat, and a remedy application on the Support side (meaning it is not possible to access the Support Agent Console from SmartIT?):

Architecture - BMC Virtual Chat 9.1 - BMC Documentation

- Chatter is a Saleforce application, which probably means it is for Remedyforce customers.

Am I on to something?

• 1. Re: Chatconfusion
          Carey Walker

Good work. I would REALLY love a crystal clear explanation from the experts on this too. Add eschat to the mix while we're at it.

• 2. Re: Chatconfusion
            Anne Brock

Johannes Buverud wrote:

Virtual Chat, Virtual Agent, BMC/Remedy Chat, Openfire Chat, Chatter...I really feel like I am fighting against something that does not want to be understood:)

After some searching this is what I am guessing:

- The out-of-box ITSM chat uses Openfire (which was introdused in 7.6.04?). This can be integrated with SmartIT (and MyIT?): Installing - BMC Remedy with Smart IT 1.3 - BMC Documentation

- The originally BMC/Remedy Chat (in v8.0), was renamed Virtual Agent (in 8.1 and 9.0), and then renamed Virtual Chat (in 9.1). This can also be integrated with MyIT and SmartIT on the customer side of the interface using java servlets for both the agent and the chat, and a remedy application on the Support side (meaning it is not possible to access the Support Agent Console from SmartIT?):

Architecture - BMC Virtual Agent 9.0 - BMC Documentation

- Chatter is a Saleforce application, which probably means it is for Remedyforce customers.

Am I on to something?

The ITSM Chat  which uses Openfire is an agent to agent chat tool; included with the AR Server; works on midtier and on SmartIT

Virtual Chat/Virtual Agent/Ask Jen/BMC Chat - this is for end user to agent chats; but it has a feature where users can see articles that may solve their problem first; if the articles don't work, they can request to chat with a service desk agent. This is not part of the Smart IT i/f currently (I have no idea as to futures) but you can put a link on the "more" list to open it up in the midtier.

MyIT has a social feed - available on the update tab. It's for end users to communicate among each other in groups; also shows users any updates on their tickets; any updates on services they follow; etc.

Chatter is definitely a Salesforce app. In Remedyforce, we leverage Chatter, Salesforce Chat (agent to agent), and Remedyforce Chat (end user to agent)

Did I confuse things more? (smile)

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Chatconfusion
              Matt Laurenceau

Great explanation Anne! What about a visual describing this?

• 4. Re: Chatconfusion

Carey Walker wrote:

Good work. I would REALLY love a crystal clear explanation from the experts on this too. Add eschat to the mix while we're at it.

"The ESChat servlet is a Java servlet that handles all chat application processing."

Architecture - BMC Virtual Chat 9.1 - BMC Documentation

• 5. Re: Chatconfusion

Amen to that! All these different chat-tools are very confusing.

In addition to all that, it's probably worth mentioning that ITSM/Openfire Chat is free of charge.

Virtual Chat is not free.

• 6. Re: Chatconfusion

Thanks, Anne, but still not crystal:)

In MyIT, upper right corner, left to your profile, there is an icon with double speech bubles "Live Help". This triggers (on BMCs "Try MyIT-page") the link http://mobility47-ar.trybmc.com/eschat/login?, stating that this is ESChat, indicating that Virtual Chat is indeed integrated?

(I was about to check the same icon in SmartIT, but for some reason I get "An error has occurred please contact your administrator" when trying to log in on both your "Try SmartIT" page and on my PoC-installation. Anyways, my guess is that this is the same chat-product as in MyIT?)

Also, the documentation says:

"VA Chat    Enables end users to launch BMC Virtual Agent from BMC MyIT.    You configure this feature on the VA Chat Configuration tab."

(This is done in Admin->Configuration->VA Chat)

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/myit30/Changing+client+functionality+options

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Chatconfusion
                      John Gallagher

Hey Johannes,

Yes, MyIT has the ability to integrate with VA. The chat you see with Smart IT is using another product called Openfire as Ann mentioned.  Does this answer your question ?

Regards,

John

• 8. Re: Chatconfusion

To sum it all up:

- Virtual Chat (aka Virtual Agent/BMC Chat/ESChat/Ask Jenn/Program D...) can be used stand-alone or integrated into MyIT on the client/sustomer side, and on the MidTier (as an ARS application) on the Support Agent side

- ITSM Chat (aka Openfire) is used within ITSM/SmartIT as an agent to agent chat tool

- Chatter is a Salesforce chat application, accessible with Remedyforce. Chatter is integrarable with MyIT when using Remedyforce.

In addition to this; in the MyIT Update tab you can post messages related to groups, people and recources.

• 9. Re: Chatconfusion
                          Anne Brock

No great graphic, I'm afraid.....

The "Live Help" Link by your name in MyIT is Virtual Chat/Ask Jenn/etc.... Funny, I hadn't really ever looked at that icon before!

In SmartIT that same icon is the back-end agent to agent Open Fire chat

• 10. Re: Chatconfusion
                            Carey Walker

Thanks Johannes - I'll read your links next time

• 11. Re: Chatconfusion

You can integrate BMC MyIT with the Chatter social network to combine their messaging systems and enable MyIT and Chatter users communicate from either the BMC MyIT or the Chatter UI."

Configuring social features - BMC MyIT 3.0 - BMC Documentation

So MyIT integrates with both Virtual Agent and Chatter?

• 12. Re: Chatconfusion

Aha, MyIT can integrate with Remedyforce, so I guess the possibility to integrate with Chatter makes kind of sense.

Would this then work the same way as a Lync integration?

• 13. Re: Chatconfusion

I was about to struggle but your post helped me a lot. Thanks a ton.

Regards

RP

• 14. Re: Chatconfusion
                                    Bradley Murphy

Hi John

Great question and thanks for summarizing the answer. Does anyone know if one could integrate MYIT virtual agent / chat with ITSM / SmartIT chat? I was wondering if it is possible to have a chat started by a end user in MYIT and a support agent being able to pick the chat up in ITSM / SmartIT ?

Thanks

Brad

1 2 Previous Next