2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 9:37 PM by Sameer Salve

Does BMC has something similar to “IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Probe for Message Bus” ?

Sameer Salve

Does BMC has something similar to “IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Probe for Message Bus” ?

• 1. Re: Does BMC has something similar to “IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Probe for Message Bus” ?
          Eric Olson

Sameer,

The IBM Tivoli Netcool/Omnibus Probe for Message Bus receives an XML or JSON formatted message over a protocol (JMS, HTTS(s), or MQTT) and parses it to produce an event in NetCool.  There is no direct equivalent in BMC.  Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, there may be ways to accomplish it so I am going to go into a digression that may help you.

In BMC, the TrueSight Operations Management (TSOM) solution provides the event management capability that is analogous to IBM Tivoli NetCool/Omnibus.  TSOM provides capability to forward its events to NetCool and similarly to take in and process NetCool events.  Thus, you can certainly use the Probe for Message Bus to send events into TSOM via NetCool if your goal is to see those events as part of the TSOM environment.

On the other side of this, your goal may be to get information from the content of messages (again XML or JSON from JMS, MQTT, HTTP(s)) into the event management system (I'll assume TSOM) in the first place.  If that is what you want, then TSOM does supply APIs to generate events and writing a tool like this would be within reasonable scope for a Professional Services engagement.  I can discuss that with you, but it would probably be a better idea to shift that to the TrueSight Operations forum.

BMC TrueSight Middleware Management (BMM) itself does have some capability to do things like this, but is not primarily designed to be an event forwarder.  For example, when an IBM WebSphere MQ Queue Manager generates a PCF message onto one of the SYSTEM.ADMIN.* queues, BMM (if configured) parses this and forwards the corresponding event to TSOM (or to NetCool if that is your preferred event management system).  That would not apply to generic messages, however, so it does not seem to really address your question.

Finally, it is possible to use BMC TrueSight Middleware Transaction Monitor to generate arbitrary events based on the Payload of messages over many protocols.  This capability is really designed for business-oriented events like the total value of orders flowing to an order processing web service in one hour is less than X.  With some clever configuration, you could use that capability to replicate the function of the Probe for Message Bus.  However, if this was your thought in asking the question, such use is clearly not the design of the tool and I would not recommend it.

Again, a bit long winded, but I hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does BMC has something similar to “IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus Probe for Message Bus” ?
            Sameer Salve

Thanks Eric for the details. It was very helpful.

As you pointed our, our goal is to get the content of messages into BPPM/TSOM. I was thinking of using IIWS, but if there is a better way to achieve this and please do suggest.

Thanks again !

-Sameer