1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2016 11:38 AM by Luciano Spagnuolo

Dashboard error

Luciano Spagnuolo

I have searched but found nothing related to this problem for the dashboard.  There are two environments both at the same platform level.  One runs the dashboard fine the other has a java heap memory error.  Both running dashboard dashboard-1.4.36 from what I can see.  Hope someone can provide some info

Environment: BL 8.6 on Windows 2008R2 servers

When the dashboard job runs it generates the following errors

Error while Executing blcli Profiler getCompleteStatusReport

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at java.util.Arrays.copyOf(Unknown Source)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.expandCapacity(Unknown Source)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.ensureCapacityInternal(Unknown Source)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at java.lang.StringBuilder.append(Unknown Source)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CommandResult.describe(CommandResult.java:197)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CLIMain.runSingleCommand(CLIMain.java:409)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52  at com.bladelogic.om.infra.cli.CLIMain.main(CLIMain.java:181)

Info 01/22/2016 10:06:52 Exception in thread "main"

Looking for info on why java heap space is out of memory.  I see that in the dashboard.bat there it contains setting "-Xmx1024m" is this the one (and only one) to increase?

Lou Spagnuolo

• 1. Re: Dashboard error
          Bill Robinson

if you run that same blcli command from the command line do you get the oom?

blcli_execute Profiler getCompleteStatusReport

how many appservers in the env ?

• 2. Re: Dashboard error
            Luciano Spagnuolo

Sorry for the late response Bill, I was out of the office.

What I did this morning was download the dashboard 1.4.39_jre7.zip and reinstalled it. The install went fine with no issues.  However, when I run the job it runs successfully but generates the same error and only outputs the following

and that dump file is empty.  I ran on a couple of different app servers with the same results.

When I run your command from the app server I get this:

SYSWNJPBLAAP01% blcli_execute Profiler getCompleteStatusReport

com.bladelogic.om.infra.session.client.SessionLoginException: No authentication

profile name specified. For blcli please include -v <profile name> or set the en

vironment variable "BL_AUTH_PROFILE_NAME". For blcli_connect, please run blcli_s

etoption serviceProfileName <profile name>

this happens whether I use the -v profiler name or not or even if I set the blcli_setoption servicesProfileName

Lou Spagnuolo

• 3. Re: Dashboard error
              Luciano Spagnuolo

Bill, I finally got your command to run.  When I run it at the command line it outputs all information correctly.  When it runs in the job it errors on Java heap space as stated in the first part of this post.  I made a change to the dashboard nsh script to include the following but had same issue

set it to blcli_setjvmoption -Xmx1024m  before any other blcli commands but this didn't help either

when i run this it confirms the setting blcli_listjvmoptions

shows -Xmx256

Lou Spagnuolo

• 4. Re: Dashboard error
                Bill Robinson

when i run this it confirms the setting blcli_listjvmoptions

shows -Xmx256

-> run this where ?  in the script job ?

so, when you run the blcli_execute Profiler getCompleteStatusReport from the commandline - after correctly setting up the session for the performance commands (which you didn't seem to do) do you get a heap error ?

• 5. Re: Dashboard error
                  Luciano Spagnuolo

when I run blcli_listjvmoptions from the command line it shows -Xmx256  (I wanted to confirm the default)

No, when I setup the environment at the command line and run blcli_execute Profiler getCompleteStatusReport it works as expected.  It does not give the error. However, when I ran it again and tried to pipe it to a file it gave me the error (I wanted to pipe it to a file to see all output later)

blcli_execute Profiler getCompleteStatusReport>/tmp/command-out.txt

Please keep in mind that the app servers are windows 64 bit.

Lou Spagnuolo

• 6. Re: Dashboard error
                    Bill Robinson

piping the output of the blcli_execute to a file isn't really how you do it:

blcli_execute xxx

blcli_storeenv FOO

echo "${FOO}" > file

unset FOO #because in this cause foo will be very large and overwhelm the shell

how will running the blcli_listjvmoptions tell you what's going on in the job ?

• 7. Re: Dashboard error
                      Luciano Spagnuolo

I ran the blcli_listjvmoptions just to see what it was starting out with. It was my way of confirming that the default was in place and nothing different.

So should the Xmx be increased to resolve this issue or is there something else I need to do?  There are two other environments that the dashboards runs fine in.  The same version in those environments with no issues.  So I have been trying to figure out what is different in this environment that causes this issue.  All other NSH jobs run fine.

Lou Spagnuolo

• 8. Re: Dashboard error
                        Bill Robinson

Right – the call to the blcli to run the profiler is actually made from w/in some java code, in the dashboard.  So either i can build another copy of the dashboard w/ a higher heap set, or you can change the max heap for any blcli call on the system in the NSH/br/blcli file or registry.

But i’d like you to run it interactively do see how high a heap we need to set.  512, 768. Etc ?

• 9. Re: Dashboard error
                          Luciano Spagnuolo

I would rather change the  max heap on the application servers for all blcli functions then have a one off dashboard copy.  So where is this change made?  I don't see /NSH/br/blcli I do see /NSH/bin/blcli.  or would it be better to do it in the registry? Please advice and I will give it try.

Lou Spagnuolo

• 10. Re: Dashboard error
                            Bill Robinson

What os is your appserver ?

• 11. Re: Dashboard error
                              Luciano Spagnuolo

Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise

• 12. Re: Dashboard error
                                Bill Robinson

Ok.  and what heap do you need to run the blcli w/ to get a successful return from the command ?

Also – what version of bsa is this ?

• 13. Re: Dashboard error
                                  Luciano Spagnuolo

As for what heap size for a successful run I would say start at 25% increase from the default. I do not know what the exact size that is needed is but I suspect it is only a bit more that what is in place today.  The job runs for a while before it displays the message so it seems like it is at the end.  What do you recommend we start with if my thoughts are off?

Lou Spagnuolo

• 14. Re: Dashboard error
                                    Bill Robinson

I have no idea how much larger you need to make it.  so you’ll have to experiment. On windows you’ll need to set it in the registry.

1 2 Previous Next