1. You may need to check using Tools-> F12 Developer Tools and share exactly if any errors or its showing any network latency details.
2. Again use web developer plugin and check for same thing in latest Firefox/chrome.
3. Please, can you help with a. how many roles are available and b. what is max roles assigned to any user. c. bsa version (exact)
- Is the portal 2.0 installed with http or https configuration?
- Can we also try on Google Chrome and see if the issue persists there as well?
As a last resort you could try the following:
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following key in the registry:
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type KeepAliveTimeout, and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify.
- Type the appropriate time-out value (in milliseconds), and then click OK. For example, to set the time-out value to two minutes, type 120000.
- Restart Internet Explorer.
Using the compatibility view in ie ?
Last week I uninstalled and reinstalled the portal a couple of times with the same results. I noticed that it would usually be triggered by going to something that used the DCA indexer, like the vulnerability management dashboard or inventory. I decided to go ahead and try importing some data from BladeLogic in Firefox. I imported 4 roles and this caused a DCA reindex. After that was completed we have not had any more issues in either IE or Firefox.
I looked through every log I could find but I didn't see any obvious error messages. I think it might have been an empty index or a very slightly corrupted index that was repaired by the importing of the roles. It's strange that it only happened in IE, but I did take Vinayak's suggestion and open the Developer's Tools and it looks like there is a lot of IE specific testing.
Once again, thank you all for the suggestions.