1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 1:36 AM by vikas jha

How to determine task license compliance status?

Rick Westbrock
      Share:|

This is the first product I have used that is licensed on a task basis. How do I determine my task count to find out how close I am to my licensed task number?

• 1. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
          Mark Francome

There is a "Control-M Reporting" tool. Run the peak usage report that you find there (for 365 days) and send BMC the resulting pdf.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
            Rick Westbrock

Thanks Mark, I just created a report from the Extreme Peak Usage template on my v9 server to see what it looks like. I see two different numbers though, Maximum number of jobs in a single day and Maximum number of executions in a single day. I am assuming the max jobs number is the one that applies to my max licensed task count since a single job executed four times in one day should still only count as one for licensing purposes.

• 3. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?

Hi Rick,

You are correct.

The (standard) Task Based License is based on the number of Jobs ordered in - not the number of runs/executions.

A Job that runs every minute (1,440 times per day) counts as only 1 Job.

Having said this, a Job that is ordered in but does not run also counts!

So knowing this, there are obviously ways in which you can save tasks and therefore money, such as:

- educate your Operators/Users to user (Hold and) Delete instead of just Hold if they know Held Jobs are not needed tomorrow

- delete as many old (days) Jobs as possible, such as jobs just left on Hold, etc.

- User the "By ODATE" Job to quickly identify culprits, where you will find a lot MAXWAIT Jobs hanging around

- delete as many old (days) Jobs as possible, such as jobs just left on Hold, etc. (User the "By ODATE" Job to quickly identify culprits)

- don't unnecessarily order in Jobs that are not going to run (e.g. Confirm Jobs), and decommission Jobs/flows as quickly as possible

- if you have natural peaks (and troughs) in a day/month/quarter then attempt to move as many non-critical jobs away from these days, so that they are not "on top of" the peak

- where possible avoid On Statements on Cyclic/Rerun flows that Do Force Job as you can end up with unnecessary duplicates

- (if you have a traditional batch period of Jobs running overnight), if possible shift your New Day time back so that it increases the possibility of Jobs ending before New Day so that they do not hang around

- user %%PRECMD and %%POSTCMD where possible (especially if the return code is not as important as the real task being performed)

- use the Advanced File Transfer for the transfer of files as you can do 5 at a time

- etc.

Cheers, Graeme.

• 4. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                Mark Francome

All good points. Also consider that dummy jobs still count against the license and be careful when forcing jobs in via On/Do when other jobs fail - if the original job fails many times then you might find lots of unwanted jobs being ordered.

Don't know what the Control-M Reporting Facility is called on Version 9 but if you open it and go to "All Templates" / "General" / "Extreme Peaks Usage". Alter the date range as needed (you would need to run it for 365 days) and press Finish. You'll then see the highest number of unique jobs run on a date (that is what BMC see as your license usage).

• 5. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                  Rick Westbrock

Great information everyone, thank you very much. I have a case open with Support for this question but how to jobs in my development environment count for licensing purposes? We were led to believe in the pre-sales phase that Job A in dev and production would only count as one job which eased our concern that using a development environment would require twice as many licenses as expected.

Now that I am writing jobs I have been setting up the scheduling on the dev server to be exactly what is needed in production so that when I export the XML the only thing I need to modify before importing to production is the CM Server name. This means that the jobs in dev will be ordered every day which makes me think they will be counted for licensing purposes.

As I typed that I realized that the Order Method is at the folder level and not the job level. If I set my folder on the dev server to None (Manual order) and set the same folder in prod to Automatic (Daily) can I migrate jobs via XML files without disturbing those settings?

• 6. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?

Hopefully your contract folks built those pre-sales discussion about environments into the final contract.  For my shop - its a combination of all three environment.  DEV, TEST, PROD   There is another compliance tool that BMC has "usage reporting tool" - with a java front end - that once you have each environments access credentials put in (the EM oracle owner id and it's password).   I believe its on their ftp site - and if you do a knowledge search will probably find a reference to it.  It will go out to each sql database and pull each environments peak task days out into one table - and compute the total peak day based on all environments.  Using Reporting Facility - one needs to run the report in each environment then combine the results - you may or may not need to split out Distirbuted and Mainframe.   We ran into an issue a couple years back - we went over - had to pay more money.   I also run a job in each environment - a couple times a day - to count the current items in the AJF -  and I have a typical high water mark for each -  and if we are over - its sends us an email - where I can determine what might be causing the anomoly .  The job I run typically reports high becasue it doesn't strip out smart table entries which don't count toward peak task.  I don't mind - just gives me a little more of a cushion to work with. In our DEV - once in a while a job stream which generates additional jobs based on conditions or found files  - might "freak" out - something is wrong that job logic didn't account for - and it's constantly shoveling more jobs out onto the ajf when it should not be.    Worst case for us - if we hit or get close to peak - we will shutdown DEV for the rest of the day..  Not allow anymore jobs out -  and keep PROD going  to stay under the peak task limit.

• 7. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                      vikas jha

In Version 9 you can set thresh hold to get email alert if it crosses the define limit:

Login to configuration  manager(CCM)->Manage->Usage Alerts

So if i have total 1200 job licenses i will set the task count to something like 1000 so that i get email alert when i cross this number. See below screenshot

usagealerts.png

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                        Rick Westbrock

Thanks Vikas, that will be very useful for us. Too bad there's no way that I am aware of to alert on the combined task count across multiple servers.

• 9. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                          vikas jha

Rick, Please download Control-M License usage utility tool. This java based utility will give you combined task count across all the environments(DEV/SIT/UAT/Prod etc)

Usually i run this utility once in a week to check if things are under control or not.

• 10. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                            Rick Westbrock

Thanks, I found that there is just one monolithic license usage utility, not a specific one for CM.

BMC License Usage Collection Utility (includes download link)

• 11. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?

See https://webapps.bmc.com/support/faces/az/prodversion.jsp?prodverseqid=305968

It's called "BMC Control-M Usage Reporting Tool" and it is available for download from EPD...

• 12. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?

The utility "BMC Control-M Usage Reporting Tool" doens't work with Oracle DataGuard...

In my environment, only work on my Dev environment (without DataGuard)

Prod and Test (with dataguard, dont...)

• 13. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                                  Rick Westbrock

Thanks Tom, I hadn't noticed that in EPD before.

• 14. Re: How to determine task license compliance status?
                                    vikas jha

Rick just wanted to give you one more clarity on the task based license.

1. If you order the same jobs multiple times it will not be counted once but it will be counted as many times as you ordered that day.

2. If you have a daily jobs which runs every day then you must make sure that the job has completed successfully that day. If the jobs has not completed successfully then please make sure you fix the issue and re-run the job so that it completes successfully. If for some reason you are not able to complete the job successfully then please delete it before the new day procedure starts. Because the job which is failed does not get auto deleted next day (it gets auto deleted next to next day). So basically on the next day you will have one failed job and one new copy of the job which got loaded as per schedule. Now for that day, It will be counted as two jobs , not one.

3. Don't put the job on hold and forget to free it. Because the job which is on hold does not get deleted automatically and you may see increase in the number of task/jobs you have consumed.

Telling you these things from my experience since i have already faced many such situations when we have task based license.

Merry Christmas!!!

1 2 Previous Next