0 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2015 6:41 AM by Nick Chard

Audit Windows permissions

Nick Chard

Can anyone offer some advice on snapshot and auditing Windows permissions?

I want to snapshot the permissions on a Windows folder, then create an audit job to run against other servers that contain the same folder. If the permissions are different I want to Sync With Master and use the same permission on the folder from the snapshot.

I've created a snapshot job, and selected my folder in the Server Objects tabs. In the snapshot/audit options I have selected:

Directory Inherit Auditing ACL (Windows NTFS) (Windows) true

Directory Inherit Permission ACL (Windows NTFS) (Windows) true

Directory Permission ACL  (Windows NTFS) (Windows) true

nothing else is selected. In the includes/excludes section I have left Recurse subfolders unticked.

I have created an audit job with exactly the same settings. When I run the audit job, it shows the differences in acl's and it also shows the differences in the contents of the folder I am auditing. If I run a SyncWithMaster, the package that is created adds/removes the permissions, but it also adds/removes the contents of the folder to make it the same as the master.

How can I prevent the contents from being synced? For the purposes of this audit I only want the permissions on the folder to be the same. The folder contents are expected to be different so I want them to be ignored?