1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2015 11:03 PM by Jay L. Abramoff

smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Share:|

I've been searching for doc about this all morning. How do you set this up? I was going to write a rexx exec to check for high cpu and low I/O, log it to a file and check for looping characteristics over a minute or two.

• 1. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?
          Jim Wilson

ken klein Please identify the BMC product this question is in relation to.

• 3. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?
            Jim Wilson

Discussion successfully moved from Products to MainView

• 4. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?
              Susan Rice

Ken,

I am glad you are interested in utilizing loop check.  Since it was added via PTF there was a technical bulletin with the details.  Hopefully this link will work but if not signin to support and search for 466423.

http://documents.bmc.com/supportu/documents/64/23/466423/466423.pdf?rendition=pdf&doctype=Technical%2520Bulletin&title=T…

Hopefully this will get you started.

Thanks

Susan Rice

• 5. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Thanks, Susan, unfortunately we are only at Version 3.1 of mainview.

I have a ticket open to find out when 3.1 goes to end-of-life. I need to find that out for all our BMC products.

• 6. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Ken,

You can go to our website and click on support and go to support central then select support product.

Or follow this link (you will need a sign-on for our secure site).  https://webapps.bmc.com/support/faces/az/supportlisting.jsp#M

Then pick the product you want to find out about.  It you example MainView for z/OS.   You will get:

I think you have a few years, but we added some good things in 3.2, so you might want to upgrade. 

I have had some customers use the loop check functionality and after some tweaking (eliminated/filtering jobs that looked like loopers, but were not) they had good success.

Fred.

• 7. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Thanks for the good tips. I like this community support.

• 8. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Glad to hear that Ken.     Have a great day!

• 9. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Ken,

Thought of one more thing.    Have you looked a the JLOOP view?    It is not the enhanced loop check functionality, but it might be of interest.   Came in the 3.1 release you are running.

JLOOP assists in identifying address spaces that might be in a loop. Any address

space that is either using a processor or “ready and waiting for a processor” more

than 90% of the time is considered at risk of being in a loop. The threshold for

selecting jobs (90%) can be changed by using view customization.

Fred.

• 10. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

With the tgtgrp view I was able to determine that we do in fact have 3.2 installed.

But none of the commands in the white paper work. Now I'm looking into if we have ptf bqy0808 applied. I don't have access to our SMP CSI. Is there a way to show what ptfs have been applied to my mainview?

I don't have a "solutions" option on my EZMZOSR menu:

17SEP2015  15:34:44 ---------------------------------------------- MAINVIEW WIN

COMMAND  ===>                                                                 

CURR WIN ===> 1        ALT WIN ===>                                           

W1 =EZMZOSR===========XAB1=====*========17SEP2015==15:34:44====MVMVS====D====1

MAINVIEW for z/OS      > View Interval Menu   

Time frame - RealTime     > View LongTerm Menu   

> View ShortTerm Menu  

Activity                +-----------------------+    Utilities            

> Jobs                    |    Place cursor on    |  > MV for z/OS Fast Menu

> Devices                 |     menu item and     |  > Environment Settings 

. Storage                 |      press ENTER      |  > RMF-like Menus       

> XCF                     +-----------------------+  > SYSPROG Services     

> WLM Workloads                                      . Console              

> Non-WLM Workloads                                  . Program and I/O Trace

> USS                                                > Alarm Management     

. CPU Event Counts                                   > MV for USS Menu      

. Return...                                      

• 11. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Ken,

Without access to your SMPE zones it is pretty hard to tell if a single PTF is on.    But your menu pretty much tells the story.    With the new PTF this menu would have a Solutions Menu link.    It does not, so I'm fairly certain you do not have the needed PTF.

Here is my menu, with the PTF on:

W1 =EZMZOSR===========BMCA=====*========17SEP2015==16:00:12====MVMVS====D====1

MAINVIEW for z/OS      > View Interval Menu   

Time frame - RealTime     > View LongTerm Menu   

> View ShortTerm Menu  

Activity                +-----------------------+    Utilities            

> Jobs                    |    Place cursor on    |  > MV for z/OS Fast Menu

> Devices                 |     menu item and     |  > Environment Settings 

. Storage                 |      press ENTER      |  > RMF-like Menus       

> XCF                     +-----------------------+  > SYSPROG Services     

> WLM Workloads                                      . Console              

> Non-WLM Workloads                                  . Program and I/O Trace

> USS                                                > Alarm Management     

. CPU Event Counts                                   > MV for USS Menu      

. Return...                                       

> Solutions            

Fred.

• 12. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Fred, you must be psychic. As soon as I entered the name of the view, JLOOP, up popped a display with a job at 0 I/o. 

And of course the phone calls started and the problem ticket was opened. I can use this view to write a little rexx exec that autoops can run regularly to send an alert when needed.

• 13. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

Ken,

You may want to look at our Alarm Manager function.   That way you don't have to write any code and you can get an Alarm generated that your operation team could see via the Alerts view.

We have quick course available that discuss Alarm Manager at:

www.bmc.com/support/mainframe-demonstrations

Product Demonstrations - BMC

Regards,

Fred

Changed Link that was bad.    Thanks Ken for pointing it out.

• 14. Re: smart loop check - Does anyone have this working?

That link does not work.

1 2 Previous Next