4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2015 9:57 AM by John Magnussen

Warning: Record has been modified by another user.....

John Magnussen
      Share This:

Remedy ITSM warning message "Record has been modified by another user...." occurs quite often for Support Staff at a customer installation, especially when they add relationships.

It has been established that this is how it is expected to work and according to design.

It is not necessarily another user (person) who has  modified the record, it might be the system.

Agents start to ignore this warning message.

This is a risk as the ticket may actually have been modified by another user (person).

Is there any way of telling if the update has been done by another user (a person) or by the system (e.g. AR_ESCALATOR)?

Any ideas or suggestions you may have welcomed with thanks.

• 1. Re: Warning: Record has been modified by another user.....
          LJ LongWing

John,

Unfortunately not.  The way the client works is that at the time you retrieve the record it takes a timestamp, and then at the time you go to update the record, before performing the update, it checks to see if the last modified date of the record has been changed since retrieval (> retrieval time), and if so, it just throws this generic message letting you know it was modified after retrieval, but doesn't provide the 'name' of the last user that modified it after you retrieved it.  If you wanted to put in an 'idea' to enhance the client to not only tell you that it was touched, but the who that last touched it, I'd vote for that idea

• 2. Re: Warning: Record has been modified by another user.....
            John Magnussen

LJ,

I wonder if a work-around could be to use use the form "AR System Message Catalog" and create an entry for the system message:
            "This record has been updated by another user since you retrieved it. Saving your changes will overwrite the changes made by that user. Do you want to save your changes? (ARWARN 1203)"

If you populate the fields as follows:
            Message Identifier: 1203
            Locale left blank
            Message Text: This record has been updated by another user, User ID $5$, since you retrieved it. Saving your changes will overwrite the changes made by that user. Do you want to save your changes?

As you want to replace an existing system message, you need to tell it which message ID, in this case 1203.
            Leaving Locale blank means this will be used instead of the standard System Message 1203.
            $5$ is Last Modified By and contains the User ID that last modified the record. If this is a system user, for example AR_ESCALATOR, it will show this. 

• 3. Re: Warning: Record has been modified by another user.....
              LJ LongWing

John,

I encourage you to try this, but I don't expect that it'll work.  Because the $5$ will likely be shown as the last modified by already on screen, and not the new one that the user doesn't yet know about ....but, as I said, please give it a try and report back with the results, positive or negative, it'll answer the question

• 4. Re: Warning: Record has been modified by another user.....
                John Magnussen

LJ,

I tested this and it didn't work.

The new message I put in "AR System Message Catalog" was not displayed. 

Even if it was displayed, I think you're right, it would show the Last modified By User ID already on screen, so to get the latest " Last modified By User ID", a read to the DB needs to be done.

We discussed this today with our customer and they will put an IDEA in to have the " Last modified By User ID" shown, so you can see who last changed it and if it was a person or the system, e.g. AR_ESCALATOR.

I hope the IDEA will get a lot of votes, I'll certainly vote for it.

It would be nice to get this in one of the next versions.