11 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2016 5:50 PM by Bill Robinson

BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error

Curtis Martin

I am installing BSA 8.6 SP1 on Windows Server 2012 R2.  The installation failed with the following error in the bsainstallupgrade.log file.

THROWABLE EVENT {Description=[A component installation has failed.],Detail=[Command execution returned a non-zero code (-2147213312): ]},

I have attached the complete file for reference.  Due to messages immediately prior to the failure I executed the installation directly from the console of the server instead of RDP, but with the same result.

• 1. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
          Bill Robinson

the error is here:

PROGRESS EVENT {Description=[BMC BladeLogic Server Automation (28%)],Progress=[28],Detail=[Installing Application Server (Remaining time - 45 mins 42 secs)]}

(Jul 30 2015 09:33:04.197 AM -0400),SEVERE,com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.fresh.BladelogicFreshInstallManager,

THROWABLE EVENT {Description=[A component installation has failed.],Detail=[Command execution returned a non-zero code (-2147213312): ]},

Throwable=[com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.common.BladelogicInstallException

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.utils.BladelogicComponentInstaller.executeCommand(BladelogicComponentInstaller.java:1878)

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.utils.BladelogicComponentInstaller.executeCommand(BladelogicComponentInstaller.java:1831)

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.utils.BladelogicComponentInstaller.invokeISInstaller(BladelogicComponentInstaller.java:1788)

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.common.BladelogicInstallComponentsTask$BladelogicCallableTask.installComponent(BladelogicInstallComponentsTask.java:362)

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.common.BladelogicInstallComponentsTask$BladelogicCallableTask.call(BladelogicInstallComponentsTask.java:283)

com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.common.BladelogicInstallComponentsTask$BladelogicCallableTask.call(BladelogicInstallComponentsTask.java:265)

java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)

java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)

java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)]

(Jul 30 2015 09:33:04.197 AM -0400),SEVERE,com.bmc.install.task.InstallationStateHelper,

so it looks like the appserver installer failed.  i'm not sure if we keep a log of that or not, there should be something in %TEMP% maybe.  when you started the upi installer, did you right-click and do 'run as adminstrator' ?

• 2. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
            Curtis Martin

I tried Run As Administrator on setup.exe with the same result.

%TEMP% contains only “bsainstallupgrade” and “BSAOneClickInstallInstallingConfiguration”.

I do have a questions about the following lines in bsainstallupgrade.  The Windows user “Administrator” does not existing on this server.

LOG EVENT {Description=[File Server Bladelogic component has been selected for installation.],Detail=[BladelogicFSDetails ]}

(Jul 30 2015 01:13:12.380 PM -0400),INFO,com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.fresh.BladelogicFreshInstallManager,

LOG EVENT {Description=[RCP Bladelogic component has been selected for installation.],Detail=[RCP:: ]}

(Jul 30 2015 01:13:12.380 PM -0400),INFO,com.bmc.install.product.bladelogic.fresh.BladelogicFreshInstallManager,

LOG EVENT {Description=[PXE Bladelogic component has been selected for installation.],Detail=[BladelogicFSDetails ]}

• 3. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
              richard mcleod

I feel like Jared Murrell has some colorful comments for this subject...

• 4. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                Curtis Martin

Hello Bill,

I think this might be the log file you wanted to see.

Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_UNINSTALL = Uninstalling COM+ application:

Property(S): IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT = A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard.

• 5. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                  Curtis Martin

I had the same issue with the domain account that SPARTAN 117  described.  I proceeded beyond that point by creating a local administrator account on the server (Our custom/default local admin account didn’t work either: “username$$”).  If there is another relevant article I am overlooking, can you please send a link?  Thanks.

• 6. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                    Bill Robinson

this is from the rscd install:

MSI (s) (D4:30) [13:49:42:632]: Product: BMC BladeLogic Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Installation operation completed successfully.

MSI (s) (D4:30) [13:49:42:632]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BMC BladeLogic Server Automation RSCD Agent. Product Version: 8.6.01.66. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: BMC Software. Installation success or error status: 0.

it looks ok though - i think the messages you highlighted were just defining the message/variable, not actually throwing them.

i was thinking about the appserver installer log though.  it's not a msi, and i'm not sure if the UPI creates one specifically, but there may still be one in %TEMP%.

• 7. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                      Curtis Martin

Hello - I opened a support case.  They contacted engineering and both decided to install the product manually, bypassing the unified installer.  Hopefully, the issue has been resolved in 8.7.

• 8. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                        Bill Robinson

What was the issue # ?

• 10. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                          Santhosh Kurimilla

I too have got the same error message and installation failed for 8.7. Does anyone have solution for this error?

• 11. Re: BSA 8.6 SP1 Unified Installer Error
                            Bill Robinson

can you attach the upi log from your env ?