5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 1:48 AM by Juan-Luis Ortega

Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01

Neel Shaha

Hello All,

I have installed BSA 8.3.00.115 in windows environment with SQL 2008 database running on another windows host.

Below BSA components are up & working fine on standalone windows host:-

BSA App server, File Server, PXE & TFTP server, RSCD Agent, BSA Consolse & NSH

Unfortunately, I had to move database on another host due to db corruption. Luckily, I was having db backups which I use to take on weekly basis. For eg.- My BSA database has been moved to 192.168.6.20 from 192.168.6.10. SO accordingly, I made all necessary changes in BSA config files in order to point my BSA app server to new database host which is 192.168.6.20.

After doing so, my BSA setup was up, running & working fine with no data loss.

Now, I am facing an issue while performing BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01 using Unified product installer & configurator utility for db migration as well. When I run the "setup.exe" file, it tries to connect & run the sql query on previous database host which is 192.168.6.10 instead of 192.168.6.20. So I checked in almost all config files but I did not find any entry for 192.168.6.10 address to which it might be referring. I have no idea why it is referring to previous database host. All pre-requisites prior to upgrade have been met but still getting the same while performing db migration.

Below is the error message from logs:-

THROWABLE EVENT {Description=[Database connection error.],Detail=[com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The TCP/IP connection to the host 192.168.1.10, port 1433 has failed. Error: "Network is unreachable: connect. Verify the connection properties. Make sure that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port. Make sure that TCP connections to the port are not blocked by a firewall.".]};

Also attaching the screenshot of the error message for reference.

Any help will be much appreciated to resolve this. Thanks in advance

Warm Regards,

Neel Shaha

• 1. Re: Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01
          Juan-Luis Ortega

your appserver template deployment  probably still has the old DB settings. In order to check this, you can run the following command

blasadmin -s _template show data all

• 2. Re: Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01
            Davorin Stevanovic

Hi,

could you please make sure you have changed db connection settings in _template deployments for your appservers?

Could you please run: blasadmin -s _template show all and verify if you maybe did not change it there.

• 3. Re: Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01
              Neel Shaha

Folks,

Thanks for the quick response ...

Well, after running blasadmin against "_template" deployment, I am getting below error message:-

C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\NSH\bin>blasadmin.exe -s _template show data all

blasadmin now running against deployment: _template

[Database]

[09 Jul 2015 16:05:26,954] [main] [ERROR] com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServer

Exception: The TCP/IP connection to the host 192.168.1.10, port 1433 has failed.

Error: "Network is unreachable: connect. Verify the connection properties, check that an instance of SQL Server is running on the host and accepting TCP/IP connections at the port, and that no firewall is blocking TCP connections to the port.".

So I made the changes in _template deployment for configuration settings for database & now it is working fine.

I went ahead with upgrade process using unified product installer. It successfully migrated the database & upgraded the file server & RSCD agent as well. But app server upgrade resulted in failure & pxe server upgrade was not attempted either. BSA app server, pxe server & rscd agent services were running before starting upgrade process but suddenly app server & pxe server services stopped because which upgrade might have failed. Now, the problem is that RSCD agent is running with version 8.6.01 & file server also upgraded. So when I try to start app server & pxe server services, they are not getting started & without this I can't re-run upgrade.

How do I resolve this or how do I revert back all things so that I can start all services & start upgrade process again.

Regards,

Neel

• 4. Re: Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01
                Davorin Stevanovic

Hi,

you can check more on troubleshooting in docs:

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa86/Troubleshooting+the+unified+product+installer

Logs that you can check for more information are:

OM-install.log (Windows) or BladeLogic_Install (Linux),

deployment_upgrade.log

is it possible that you show us what error did you observe during appserver upgrade?

• 5. Re: Failure in BSA upgrade from 8.3.00.115 to 8.6.01
                  Juan-Luis Ortega

Hi Neel,

Did you manage to sort this out? If this is urgent then we would advice to open a support ticket and attach all logs so that we can have a look more in depth.