1 2 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2017 8:18 AM by Harry Lee

Migration 7.6 to 8.1

Share This:

Hi Team,

We are planning to migrate the BMC Analytics for BSM 7.6.06 to 8.1.  Our Environment Details are

7.6 Analytics Server:

Operating System : 2012 R2

SAP BI 4.0 SP6

BMC Analytics for BSM 7.6.06

8.1 Analytics Server:

Operating System : 2012 R2

SAP BO BI 4.1 SP1

BMC Analytics for BSM 8.1

In older version I create the linked universe into that some customization is there and I want to migrate the linked universe, users, connection along with custom reports to 8.1.  I just want to know the best practices for migration / upgradation.  Which tool I preferred to migrate.  Shall I install Analytics before migration or after.

Thanks In Advance,

Regards,

Vikrant Chandele

• 1. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
          Abhay Bagalkoti

Hello Vikrant,

SAP BO 4.1 SP1 is already installed or is yet be to installed?

If yes, then is this on a separate system?

Based on above info, will give some best way to migration\upgrading.

Please note that, newest version of Analytics installation must be always after the migration.

Regards,

Abhay

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1

Hi Vikrant,

Please go through the below link for upgrade and migration information.

I would also suggest to perform the upgrade and migration on a separate server, so that existing server is intact and no downtime is required.

Regards,

• 3. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1

Hi Hement,

I am not able to find any link.

Thanks for reply,

Regards,

Vikrant

• 4. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1

Hi Abhay,

Please tell me the steps how to migrate all custom reports, connections, linked universe, core universe and users.

Thanks In Advance,

Regards,

Vikrant Chandele

• 5. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1

My Apologies,

Forgot to paste the links last time.

Please find below the relevant links for upgrade.

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/BLJ7606/Upgrading

http://scn.sap.com/community/business-intelligence/blog/2013/01/31/sap-businessobjects-bi-41-update-and-bi4x-roadmap-asug-webcast-part-1

Please let us know if you need any further information on the same.

Regards,

• 6. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                    Abhay Bagalkoti

Hello Vikrant,

The first step is to back-up the contents from source BO system into an LCMBIAR file using Promotion Management Tool.

Here is the link for the same https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/BABSM8100/Backing+up+the+universe+and+reports+using+the+Lifecycle+Management+Tool

Kindly create multiple LCMBIAR files in chunks like 1 file for Reports, another for Universes, then for users etc.

Copy all the LCMBIAR files onto the target BO system.

In the same link above, restoring the contents of LCMBIAR file is mentioned too. Do them one by one.

Apart for this, there are many links of SAP site i.e. http://scn.sap.com for migration of BO contents from BO 4.0 to 4.1, please do refer them as well.

Once all migration is done and tested, then do the new installation on Analytics on the target system.

Regards,
                    Abhay

• 8. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                      Harry Lee

For someone with BO 4.1 already but using Analytics 7.6.06, what are the steps for an upgrade to 8.1?

I found the link with the outline of the steps.

1. Back up the existing universe and reports using Promotion Management tool. (back up the OOTB and linked universe and connections?)
                      2. Uninstall BMC Analytics

3. Delete all the folders from %temp% 

4. Delete Analytics installation directory if found. 

5. Delete ITSM universe. 

6. Delete ITSM universe Connection. 

6) Delete all promotion jobs  (all promotion jobs even if there are other universes?)

7) Delete all the BMC Analytics Report directory. 

8) Delete ANA FISCAL Calendar form from the BMC Remedy Developer Studio in the Base Development mode. 

9) Make sure all the BI services are running, check it from the CMC console.  

9) Restart the Analytics box.

Install higher version of Analytics.
                      Import all backed up reports, universes and connections, using promotion job tool (does this mean restore OOTB and linked universes or just linked?)

Are there other things to consider when "upgrading" to 8.1?

Are the steps different if Business Objects is used as the enterprise reporting tool for other applications and Analytics is just one universe in it?

• 9. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                        Abhay Bagalkoti

Hello Harry,

Please do not delete either OOTB ITSM Universe or connection or even the linked universe and its connection.

Step 5 & 6 are not required.

Not all promotion jobs are required to be deleted. Delete only the job that Analytics creates which will be like 'ITSM-LCMBIAR-SQL' or 'ITSM-LCMBIAR-ORA'.

Deletion of ANA FISCAL CALENDAR is also not required, However, while Analytics installation, the Remedy user which will be used; should have a privilege to replace the AR Forms, mostly admin users.

Do let us know in case any more queries.

Regards,

Abhay

• 10. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                          Harry Lee

Thank you!

The new upgrade workflow.

1. Back up the existing universe and reports using Promotion Management tool.
                          2. Uninstall BMC Analytics

3. Delete all the folders from %temp% 

4. Delete Analytics installation directory if found. 

6) Delete 'ITSM-LCMBIAR-SQL' promotion job

7) Delete all the BMC Analytics Report directory.  (still needed? or can we leave the reports also?)

8) Delete ANA FISCAL Calendar form from the BMC Remedy Developer Studio in the Base Development mode.  (Seems like the 8.1 analytics installer overwrites this)

9) Make sure all the BI services are running, check it from the CMC console.  

9) Restart the Analytics box.

Install higher version of Analytics.
                          Import all backed up reports, universes and connections, using promotion job tool (No need to import since it wasn't deleted to start with?)

• 11. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                            Abhay Bagalkoti

Hello Harry,

The backup of universe \ reports are needed in case if for some reason the installer fails.

At step 7 - Do not delete any folder that have OOTB Analytics reports. You can leave it as it is.

NOTE: Analytics installer will only replace the OOTB Reports and ITSM Universe. It does not impact to linked universe if any.

At the last, import is not needed since the OOTB contents were not deleted.

Once the higher version of Analytics installation completes, make sure that the ITSM universe is imported (from universe designer tool), update the connection and then save & export it.

After that, linked universe can be imported and then update the connection if required and save & export it too.

At step 8 - ideally deleting ANA Fiscal Calendar form is also not needed since the Analytics installer will replace it, provided the user has the appropriate privileges to replace the form.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Abhay

• 12. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                              Harry Lee

Thanks Abhay

One last question

During the Analytics install/upgrade, it asks for the CMS and Database info.

Do we just put the same info as currently installed?

• 13. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                                Harry Lee

Sorry I missed that the DB info is for the AR System DB.

• 14. Re: Migration 7.6 to 8.1
                                  Harry Lee

When I tried importing the Linked Universe, I got a unable to resolve core id error message and couldn't import the universe.

Am I supposed to just Open the linked universe (unv), then update the connection, save and export?

Or does it have to be imported?

1 2 Previous Next