4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2015 4:35 PM by Yanick Girouard

BSA 8.5 SP1+ - Impact of blank STAGING_DIR property for Windows and Unix targets?

Yanick Girouard

In preparation of scheduling a Delete cleanupAgent job to clean all agents, I have noticed that several hundred of our servers didn't have any value set in their STAGING_DIR property. I have confirmed that Deploy Jobs seem to use the default values set internally (/temp/stage for Windows and /var/tmp/stage for Unix), but I'm worried about how other commands and functionalities of BSA would react against the blank property value, such as Delete cleanupAgent blcli command.

According to the documentation, the value should be set when the target is created, based on the OS, but it doesn't seem to be the case (?). I believe there used to have a default value set in the property dictionary, but it was incorrectly blanked out on purpose at some point.

We plan on fixing those with a fixed value, but in the meantime, I would like to know what would be the impact of running jobs against targets that have blank values for their STAGING_DIR property (especially Unix), and how the cleanup command would react to it (i.e. would it clean the default directory, or try to clean the root filesystem like I've seen before in a previous release)?