11 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 5:31 AM by Monoj Padhy

BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012

Monoj Padhy

Hi,

I am trying to deploy MS-SQL 2012 but it is failing with exit code -4001. Not sure whats the issue here. Below is the method tried so far.

BSA:8.5.01.119

Target Server: Windows 2008/2012

Installation completed successfully from native command prompt using below command.

setup.exe /ConfigurationFile="myini.ini" /AGTSVCPASSWORD="Pune@123" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="Pune@123" /sapwd="Pune@123"

Now created BL Package in BSA and added the above command in a New External command and executed the job. Job executed with DEBUG mode enabled. However, I am unable to trace out anything from log. Attached the same for your reference.

Kindly guide me to correct path.

Regards,

Monoj

• 2. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012

I can see following error in the bldeploy log file. You can try the same command manually and see if you are getting the same error.

<<snip>>

05/20/15 20:42:24.702 INFO     bldeploy - [New External Cmd] Executing command: "cd /temp/stage/SQLServer2k12SP1

setup.exe /ConfigurationFile="ConfigurationFile.ini" /AGTSVCPASSWORD="Pune@123" /SQLSVCPASSWORD="Pune@123" /sapwd="Pune@123""

05/20/15 20:42:24.702 DEBUG    bldeploy - [New External Cmd] chdir to PkgDir: 'C:\temp\stage\7cb7d57c1a0d37db83ad0e30d04e405a\'

05/20/15 20:42:24.718 DEBUG    bldeploy - [New External Cmd] exeFullPath = (null), CmdLine = "C:\temp\stage\7cb7d57c1a0d37db83ad0e30d04e405a\bldeploycmd.2.bat", workingDir = NULL

05/20/15 20:45:21.872 INFO     bldeploy - [New External Cmd]          Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2012 11.00.3000.00

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

05/20/15 20:45:21.981 DEBUG    bldeploy - [New External Cmd] In RunProcess: exitCode = -2147024893

05/20/15 20:45:21.981 ERROR    bldeploy - [New External Cmd] Command returned non-zero exit code: -2147024893

<<snip>>

There is an option to preserve staging directory in case of failure in bldeploy job, you need to check that before executing the job to find the staging the directory on target in case of failure.

And also disable the auto-rollback in deploy job to reduce noise in the log file.

PS: I would simply zip all files into a single package and use that to deploy rather than adding all the files individually to blpackage. It will definitely help with reducing the bldeploy execution time (though it may not be notable), since blpackage will need to transport only one item versus hundreds of items(one item per file).

Thanks,

-Saif.

• 3. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
            Bill Robinson

the problem is this:

05/20/15 20:45:21.981 DEBUGbldeploy - [New External Cmd] In RunProcess: exitCode = -2147024893

what does that exit code mean for the sql server ?

also - have you looked at this: Blade ZipKit - Microsoft SQL Server 2012 ?

• 4. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
              Monoj Padhy

I believe this is just a arbitrary exit code. There is no information I am able to get based on this exit code. I assume this as a just like any non-zero exit code. Looks like exit code is keep on changing with every job run. Attached latest job bldeploy and bltjm log for your reference.

Blade ZipKit - Microsoft SQL Server 2012 this refers to 8.3 BSA and we are in 8.5 currently I don't have 8.3 BSA in handy.

• 5. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
                Bill Robinson

right, but you can open up the xml and look at the install command being used and see if it's the same as yours or different.

does the same command you are using work outside of bsa using the same user that you are mapped to via bsa ?

and is this working? - cd /temp/stage/SQLServer2k12SP1 - is that where all the files are?  shouldn't that be 'cd c:\temp\stage\SQLServer2k12SP1 ?

• 6. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
                  Monoj Padhy

I have verified the bldeploy.xml... install command looks good. Its the same command that worked outside of BSA from windows native command prompt using administrator user and its the same user mapped in BSA as well.

cd /temp/stage/SQLServer2k12SP1 - is that where all the files are? ---- yes all files are available here. its target server staging directory.

• 7. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
                    Bill Robinson

Do you have any logs from the sql server installer?  there may be more information in there.

• 8. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012

This looks like a defect to me somewhere:

Something is trying to call an .net api that is obsolete. That something is either bladelogic rscd agent, bldeploy.exe or sql server 2012 installer. Most likely it should be bldeploy.exe. You may want to confirm this with BMC support.

Your logs say following:

<<snip>>

05/26/15 20:24:24.516 DEBUG    bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] exeFullPath = (null), CmdLine = "C:\temp\stage\30fc8f8986f83ff1b034501832dcc2d2\bldeploycmd.2.bat", workingDir = NULL

05/26/15 20:24:24.516 ERROR    bldeploy -  WIN-EE2KS7L63S2 2772 BladeLogicRSCD (Not_available): (Not_available): Failed to initialize com. Error code 262

05/26/15 20:24:29.954 INFO     bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] [stdout: 2] Microsoft .NET Framework CasPol 4.0.30319.33440

for Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319.33440

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

WARNING: The .NET Framework does not apply CAS policy by default. Any settings

shown or modified by CasPol will only affect applications that opt into using

CAS policy.

Please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131738 for more information.

05/26/15 20:24:31.876 INFO     bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] [stdout: 2] Success

05/26/15 20:24:34.204 INFO     bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] [stdout: 2] Microsoft .NET Framework CasPol 4.0.30319.33440

for Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.0.30319.33440

Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

WARNING: The .NET Framework does not apply CAS policy by default. Any settings

shown or modified by CasPol will only affect applications that opt into using

CAS policy.

Please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=131738 for more information.

05/26/15 20:24:35.735 INFO     bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] [stdout: 2] Success

05/26/15 20:46:53.901 INFO     bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] [stdout: 2] Microsoft (R) SQL Server 2012 11.00.3000.00

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

05/26/15 20:46:53.901 DEBUG    bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] In RunProcess: exitCode = -2053898239

05/26/15 20:46:53.901 ERROR    bldeploy - [2][New External Cmd] Command returned non-zero exit code: -2053898239

<<snip>>

• 9. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
                        Monoj Padhy

I believe I got the root cause for this. Windows 2012 comes with by default . net framework 4.0. I assumed .net 3.5 is not required as higher version of .net framework is already installed. Just a little Google help ....I came to know certain application requires .net framework 3.5 even if .net 4.0 is installed.

Summary.txt says installation failed becoz .net 3.5 is missing from server.

http://www.danielclasson.com/install-net-framework-35-server-2012/

Trying this fix ...hopefully this time the issue will get fixed.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        • 10. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012

That might do the trick. Do post your results.

• 11. Re: BL Package deployment failing for MS-SQL 2012
                            Monoj Padhy

As expected issue is resolved after .net 3.5 is installed. Quite weird but true certain application has such dependency. I am surprised the way windows works here. I think Microsoft can address such issues in a better way. I just added a custom entry in the system package(OS components tab) to install .net framework 3.5 and its done.

DISM.exe /Online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:NetFX3

Thanks a lot for your valuable inputs....

Regards,

Monoj