10 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2015 2:55 PM by Jim Campbell

Redhat Patch Catalog definition

Jim Campbell

Version 8.6sp1

Completely new to Redhat patching, but I created a Redhat Patch Catalog initially specifying the Repository Location and Network URL for Payload Deployment to be the same location on a Redhat server.  I then came back and edited the Network URL for Payload Deployment to point to a nsh path for a location on a Windows fileserver.  When I updated the catalog again it still put all of the RPMs on the linux server instead of on the Windows server.

When I look at the Patch Catalog -> RPMS -> any individual RPM the .LOCATION property has been changed to point to the windows path but as there are no files there that doesn't seem like it would work out very well.

1) Is it possible to store the patch content on a Windows server and only specify the Linux server as a 'helper server' ?

2) If so have i mixed up how to do this, or does it have to be set this way when the catalog is created and it can't be edited afterwards?

• 1. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
          Bill Robinson

this should be no different than any other catalog.  the payload location is where the files are downloaded.  The nsh url is where rscd agents will get the files from.  so in your case, because we cannot do the download and createrepo on a windows host, you will need to copy the files from the Linux box to the windows box.

• 2. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
            Jim Campbell

So this would require a synch job between the Linux helper server and the content repository on the Windows server each time the catalog is updated?

• 4. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
              Bill Robinson

Also – you are just changing the url to a nsh path – not a AGENT_MOUNT type ?

And remember, the copy for the nsh url types will always be through the appserver…  so if you are moving the files to a windows box that’s ‘local’ to your targets you are actually going to cause the payload to be copied over the network twice.

• 5. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                Jim Campbell

I had it as using a NSH path i.e. copy to agent at staging option.  Is it more customary to mount the source?  It would seem like that would require firewall access from the target back to the source?

When you say 'the copy for nsh url types will always be through the appserver' does this mean the copy at the time of patch deployment ( i.e. when running the remediation BLPackage deploy jobs on target managed servers ) or do you mean at catalog update time?  For windows patch deployments I have never been certain if the packages go from the content repository -> application server -> target or if its just content repository -> target.

• 6. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                  Bill Robinson

if you have the 'nsh copy at staging' the appserver copies the file from the source location 'through' the appserver to the target.

if you have 'agent mount' then the target would nfs/smb mount the source location.

• 7. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                    Jim Campbell

Thanks, thats good to know - we have always had firewall rules for the fileserver as well as the application servers so I didn't know for sure that the content was copied "through" the application server to get to the target.

It seems since the downloader has to actually download to the redhat helper server it would make more sense just to use this as the content repository for the Redhat patch remediation packages instead of trying to synch it with our current fileserver on Windows.

• 8. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                      Jim Campbell

For this catalog i changed the 'Network URL for Payload Deployment' back to the Linux helper server and attempted to update but some ( not all ) of the RPMs in the catalog are showing an error similar to :

Error05/11/2015 18:39:21

Error while add/update patch in depot: rpm : xulrunner-1.9.0.18-1.el5_4.x86_64.rpm, , Error: Failed to read the package file: Invalid RPM file format (Caused By: Invalid RPM file format)

After the update fails some of the RPMs have successfully updated their LOCATION property to reflect the path to the Linux helper server instead of the Windows server but the ones that are causing the failures in the log still show the path to the Windows repository location I provided.

Diggng through the database it looks like 222 / 45503 still have a location that references the windows server - could this be from a few corrupt downloaded RPMs ?

• 9. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                        Bill Robinson

it's possible that the errors processing the rpm files will prevent the location property from being updated.  can you fix them ?

• 10. Re: Redhat Patch Catalog definition
                          Jim Campbell

I wasn't sure how to fix the errors but I just deleted the .rpm files that were not updating from the linux server and the downloader was able to re-download them and update the RPM package location property afterwards.