3 Replies Latest reply on May 5, 2015 9:43 AM by Eric Olson

BMM : Database Related Queries

Abhay Bhagat

Hi All,

Is it recommended to have one SQL database  instance to be used to store data related to BMM or is it necessary to have a separate database.

Regards

Abhay

• 1. Re: BMM : Database Related Queries
          Eric Olson

Abhay,

I may need clarification on your question, but here is my answer to what I think you are asking:

The BMTM Server uses a database heavily.  BMM uses this database for many purposes, but the two most important are storing the monitored objects and their relationships in tables like QP_NODES and QP_TYPEDEFS and then storing the historical values of monitored attributes in tables like QP_HDHR and QP_HDLR for trending and reporting purposes.  There is exactly one BMM database per BMTM Server, but it must be supplied by the customer and is external to BMM itself.  DB2, Oracle, and SQL Server are the supported database providers. A customer should choose whichever they can most comfortably administer.  The database should be dedicated to BMM, perform well, and be close to the BMTM Server in network terms (i.e. a ping response time of a few ms at most).

I hope that answers your question.

Eric

• 2. Re: BMM : Database Related Queries
            Abhay Bhagat

Thanks Eric,

Really Helpul Info.

As per the comment :--

"There is exactly one BMM database per BMTM Server "

In my scenario , the query is

this database should be on  a separate server or a dedicated database instance (a server with a multiple MSSQL instances for different tools) ,  will work ( if the resources on the server are enough)

Regards

Abhay

• 3. Re: BMM : Database Related Queries
              Eric Olson

Abhay,

A dedicated instance is not required.  If you have one, that is great.  Just remember that BMM is a little unusual for database usage because it does a large number of updates when keeping historical records.  Thus, disk speed is important for the database system.  Most important is that the database be close to the BMM Server in the network.

Eric