2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2015 4:07 PM by Brendan Murray

Create External Configuration UI Inconsistent with Rest of Product

Brendan Murray
      Share This:

Why does the Create External Configuration page work differently from every other part of the product?

Create External Configuration.png

This is not new in 2.0, but I thought it might have been addressed by now. Every other page where you create a configuration of some kind, e.g. a Data Collector or a Data Pattern, starts with a table containing the list of existing configurations and then a set of buttons for adding, deleting, etc. For some reason, Create External Configuration shows you the list of existing configurations, but also requires you to pick the type of EC you want to create before dropping you into the edit/update screen. In other words, you start the configuration process before you even drop into the edit/update page. And, the edit/update screen also continues to show you the list of existing configurations at the bottom half of the screen, taking up unnecessary screen space in my opinion.

Is there a reason Create External Configuration works this way? If not, let's change it so that it follows the same workflow as is used with Data Collectors, Data Patterns, etc.

• 1. Re: Create External Configuration UI Inconsistent with Rest of Product

I agree we aren't being inconsistent here, but let me ask you... which methodology do you prefer?:

• Select the type of entity, and then see the configuration options for that type (this is the way the External Configuration page works today)
          • Have a default entity selected, allow the user to change the type of entity, and then have the configurations options switch from one type to the other (this is the way the Data Collector page works today)
          • 2. Re: Create External Configuration UI Inconsistent with Rest of Product
            Brendan Murray

I prefer option two, the Data Collector workflow. It's cleaner. You have a list of configurations on the main page and then you click a button to perform an action on one or more of the items. All configuration choices are made on the edit/update page. You bring up that page with a default object type selected that the user can easily change.

By the way, I also think the object names in the list should be links. If you want to view the details of a Data Collector or an External Configuration, you should not have to check a box and then click a button. This is a web interface. The name of the Data Collector or External Configuration should be clickable links. Clicking on the name should take you to a view-only mode of the details. Once there, you should have the option to go into Edit mode.