5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2015 3:12 PM by Bill Robinson

catalog number

Andrew Park

I have RedHat online catalog configured and it is working fine but whenever I update the catalog, I see folders like following:

[root@rh6patch RHEL6.5]# ls -d catalog_200*

catalog_2000269.part/  catalog_2002402/

I understand that catalog_2000269.part is being updated and catalog_2002402 is presumably an older catalog but what do these numbers mean?  Are they arbitrary or random?  Can I get rid of them?

If anyone knows anything, please advise,

• 1. Re: catalog number
          Bill Robinson

They are the group id of the catalog group.  why do you want to get rid of them ?

• 2. Re: catalog number
            Andrew Park

Thanks for the reply Bill.

I wanted to be able to use simple rsync operation to create another online catalog server.

I have two RedHat online catalog servers and one gets updates daily (server A) and the other one was updated about a week ago (server B).  I sent the entire catalog folders from server A to server B via rsync and ran patch job against the catalog in server B and it errored out with following message:

Error    Mar 26, 2015 1:16:08 PM    Error while running pre-analysis on server: -----------, Error: Could not find repodata.tar.gz corresponding to OsArch: 'RHES6x86_64' in the catalog ( at location '//ServerB/export/patches/RHEL6.5/catalog_2000269/RHES6x86_64/repodata.tar.gz'). Please update the catalog

when I looked under /export/patches/RHEL6.5/ on server B, what I found was a directory named catalog_2002402, which I assume, was created a week ago.

When I created a symlink catalog_2000269 --> catalog_2002402, the patch job worked but I am not happy with that solution.  I guess I can create the symlink right after rsync operation but I was wondering whether there is a better way to do this.

• 3. Re: catalog number
              Bill Robinson

If one of the repos updates daily, why are you trying to merge it w/ something that was updated a week ago?  won’t the daily one have the most recent rpms ?

• 4. Re: catalog number
                Andrew Park

Oh so the scenario is this:

Server A: gets updates daily

Server B and C: these are located in different data centers and have been used as online catalog servers before but have not run updates in a while

Now that that RedHat VMs are being populated in the sites where Server B and C are located, I wanted to re-activate their services so that the VMs can patch against servers on their site rather than having to contact Server A across multiple networks.

I also didn't want Servers B and C to have to download the RPMs from RedHat (even though we have sufficient license) since Server A is doing that already. That's why I am trying to simply rsync the files from server A to servers B and C.  The rsync process itself works well but patch jobs expect certain catalog group number so I'm looking for a work around.

Initially, I wanted to use offline catalog to propagate to servers B and C but that functionality is broken badly that it's not an option any more.

• 5. Re: catalog number
                  Bill Robinson

?are these all in the same bladelogic install ?