1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 26, 2015 11:21 AM by Michael Evans

TM ART to measure email roundtrip

Steve Unegbu

Hi guys

This is a strange one. I am trying to measure email round trip to a mailbox using TM ART. Is this even possible?

I am trying to use the MIME header to get timestamps of the SMTP server and matching to the mailbox timesstamp.

Using a silktest script, is it possible to capture MIME data?

Much obliged

• 1. Re: TM ART to measure email roundtrip
          Michael Evans

The problem is this is an asynchronous event.  We do an SMTP transaction test but then trust the hand-off from there to the exchange environment is successful (and monitor the SMTP logs). 

its sounds like we need to interrogate the 'received' times from the target mailbox data and piece together the SMTP send times for the same unique message (unique subject guid?). 

i'm thinking a flow might be

execute the SMTP send and capture the timestamp

execute a POP3 retrieve (see commands below)  to pull back the message text and extract the timestamp

do the reconciliation between SMTP and POP3 mailbox timestamps.

Manually connecting POP server via telnet command

Question:

How do I manually telnet to my POP (Post Office Protocol) server to check if my mail server is accepting connections? 

Answer:

This method of manually connecting to the mail server is sometimes necessary in order to help better troubleshoot Messaging/Mail issues. By directly telneting to the POP server, you can determine if the problem is within the client software or the server. Following is a list of commands to be executed from the UNIX command line or DOS shell using the telnet utility:

Question:
          How do I manually telnet to my POP (Post Office Protocol) server to check if my mail server is accepting connections?
          Answer:
          This method of manually connecting to the mail server is sometimes necessary in order to help better troubleshoot Messaging/Mail issues. By directly telneting to the POP server, you can determine if the problem is within the client software or the server. Following is a list of commands to be executed from the UNIX command line or DOS shell using the telnet utility:
          Telnetting to port 110 (the POP port).
          telnet machine 110
          POP commands:
            USER uid           Log in as "uid"
            PASS password      Substitue "password" for your actual password
            STAT               List number of messages, total mailbox size
            LIST               List messages and sizes
            RETR n             Show message n
            DELE n             Mark message n for deletion
            RSET               Undo any changes
            QUIT               Logout (expunges messages if no RSET)

TOP msg n          Show first n lines of message number msg
          More commands (and the entire spec) are available at http://www.imc.org/rfc1939.

More commands (and the entire spec) are available at  http://www.imc.org/rfc1939.