2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2015 2:57 AM by Steffen Kreis

Weird behaviour for core/socket CPU settings using VGJ for VMWare

Steffen Kreis

i noticed some sort of weirdness when using a VGJ to deploy a Windows VMWare Template.

In the BSA console i can only give one value for the "Number of Virtual CPU's", however VCenter/VSphere splits that down into two values, namely

• Number of virtual Sockets
      • Number of cores per Socket

It is quite important to get those values correct depending on the Windows Edition you deploy, but unfortunately i seem to have no influence on them. The issue is that Windows supports a different number of sockets for example between Standard and Enterprise Edition.

So for example:

Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard - Max. 4 CPU Sockets

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterpsise- Max. 8 CPU Sockets

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard - Max 64 CPU Sockets

I now deployed a VGP/VGJ based on a Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Template specifying 16 "Number of virtual CPU's" on the VGJ.

Looking at VSphere after the deployment reveals that the VM has "16 Sockets with 1 Core each". Due to that the OS only sees 4 CPU's.

To let the OS really use the 16 "virtual CPU's", BSA would have need to create the VM with "4 virtual sockets" and "4 Cores per socket".

It got even more weird when i deployed a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Edition Template, specifying 16 "Virtual CPU's" in BSA.

The VM at the end had 8 CPU sockets with 2 Cores each (Which works due to the fact that 2012 R2 Std. supports this)

So there seems to be something that defines the ratio of sockets and cores, but we seem to not have influence on it.

Has anybody seen the same behaviour and has found a way to get around this ?

Oh btw, this is for BSA 8.6 P1