2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 12:54 PM by Nick Chard

Windows Roles and Features

Nick Chard

Is there a way to manage Windows Roles and Features using Blade Logic? I can manage applications quite easily by setting up a compliance job based on the installed applications; then remediating with a package made from the software installation file if the application is not installed.

However, Windows Roles & Features are not listed under Applications - so is there a similar way to manage them?

• 1. Re: Windows Roles and Features
          Bill Robinson

not natively - you'd need to write an extended object wrapper to dump the info.  would be a good 'idea'.  adding the role would be a blpackage w/ some powershell most likely.

• 2. Re: Windows Roles and Features
            Nick Chard

Powershell can get the Windows feature information by using the command Get-WindowsFeature, however, the output is formatted for the PowerShell console.
            An extended object such as "cmd /c Powershell -command Get-WindowsFeature" would not return anything that was usable by BladeLogic.

After a bit of experimentation I got this working by piping the results to ConvertTo-CSV.

Create an extended object:

cmd /c PowerShell -inputformat NONE -command "Get-WindowsFeature | ConvertTo-CSV -NoTypeInformation"

Grammar file: csv.gm

I haven't experimented with compliance yet, but I am sure it will be easy to create a compliance rule based on the value of the "Installed" property, and then remediate with a package that contains the external command "Add-WindowsFeature -Name FeatureName"