6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 29, 2015 8:44 AM by Yanick Girouard

admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers

Santosh Kothuru

Hello,

We are running on BL 8.3 and in our environment the admin_account value always changing and appers as blank on windows target servers.

From the RSCD logs, I can see that it indicates following messages whenever value change but not sure exact how it is changing either thru any job or from BL console. I think it is not from any BL job and still seeking expertise advice from our group if anything need to check.

85c1ba48ced0f9c35e6d 0000000118 01/08/15 07:00:26.397 INFO1    rscd -  <Some IP> 18772 BladeLogicRSCD@hostname->nbehhh1@hostname:PrivilegeMapped (BLAdmins:BLAdmin): CM: > [ServerProperty] Retrieving property values

e2979be18ce5ceaabab4 0000000119 01/08/15 07:00:26.400 INFO     rscd -  hostname 18772 BladeLogicRSCD (Not_available): (Not_available): The operation completed successfully.

36f165e982ed284aa003 0000000120 01/08/15 07:00:26.447 INFO     rscd -  hostname 18772 BladeLogicRSCD (Not_available): (Not_available): The operation completed successfully.

87a70c409919a633e84b 0000000121 01/08/15 07:00:26.449 INFO     rscd -  hostname 18772 BladeLogicRSCD (Not_available): (Not_available): The operation completed successfully.

948bfbdd30d7d17e8575 0000000122 01/08/15 07:00:26.953 INFO     rscd -  hostname 22060 SYSTEM (Not_available): (Not_available): Registering DDA plugin

f1f748ead1162d091144 0000000123 01/08/15 07:00:26.954 INFO     rscd -  hostname 22060 SYSTEM (Not_available): (Not_available): Registered DDA plugin

Thanks,

Santosh

• 1. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
          Bill Robinson

if the value of the 'ADMIN_ACCOUNT' property is being changed, it's being done on the server object or in the server class.  look in the audit trail on the server object, do you see the 'Server.Modify' or 'Server.ModifyProperties' acl being exercised ?

• 2. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
            Santosh Kothuru

Thanks Bill for reply.  I see that both Server.ModifyProperties and Server.Modify from audit trial logs but server rscd logs are indicating that BLAdmin. so there is a difference and I believe if we change the server property it will show with "Server.ModifyProperties" from audit trial.

• 3. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
              Bill Robinson

Any changes to server properties happen in the GUI, and aren’t going to show up in the rscd log.  what you see in the log there is the update server property job which updates the agent_status property and some others, but not admin_account.  so i’d consider changing the property value so you know it’s set and what time and then looking in the audit trail on the server object next time you see it’s been changed and trying to figure out what role/user might have made the change.

• 4. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
                Yanick Girouard

Unless someone does it manually in the console (i.e. manually change the property on the server objects or use the Set Property context-menu action), it would be done by a job (script), because only blcli can do this otherwise. So, I would look at the audit trail like Bill suggested to see what date/time it was precisely changed, and then check the Activity view of the server (live browse, Activity tab), to see if a job run against that server at that time. This might be the culprit.

I do know that it cannot change on its own, and I've never seen any kind of bug or glitch that would keep changing this value either. One thing is for sure however, if the actual value of the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property of a server object is being changed, it's not something that can be done from the agent's side on the server.

If however, the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property was not changed, but that you see the wrong user mapping being used on the server, then check the Role definition itself. It could be that the role is not set to use the property dynamically and has a hard-coded value for the admin account or is simply not set.

• 5. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
                  Bill Robinson

ADMIN_ACCOUNT is not an intrinsic property and the USP job will not update it.  it’s created by ‘blcontent’ but you can use any property name to accomplish what you are using it for, so it’s entirely arbitrarly named.  I mention that to point out that as Yanick says it’s either a person doing this or blcli, or webservices or something, nothing internal to bsa should be changing this.

• 6. Re: admin_account value keep changing and blank on windows servers
                    Yanick Girouard

yes, I didn't mean a USP job, I meant a custom NSH Script Job that could run blcli to update the property explicitly. We have such scripts in our environment for other properties, so that's why I suggested it.