6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 11:36 AM by Cris Coffey

Is there a way change status of a ticket via email

Beth Ann Arbogast

Is there a way to change status of a ticket via email?

I'm looking to help our tech streamline getting their tickets closed on time and with notes.

I know this is something that Footprints does.

Thank you!

B.A. Arbogaset

• 1. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
          Keith Scarborough

Not really.  If there's a closed work order, then a reply email can re-open it, but that's pretty much it.

-Keith

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
            Jamie Colpean

I Agree this would be good.  Good feature of some free apps.  I want to send an email to the HD with #Close included in the subject....and then have it assigned to me..but then also the the Status.  I tried to do this by having a template applied in the logic...and that template was saved with the status as COMPLETED....yet the new ticket arrives as OPEN. 

• 3. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
              Cris Coffey

While this is not possible in Track-It! 11.x, you may want to check out the Track-It! Developers Circle to see the new things we are working on for the next major release. You can sign up here - Join the Track-It! Developers Circle

• 4. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
                Keith Scarborough

We make the assumption that techs have enough to keep up with in managing open work orders, that they won't spend time looking at closed work orders.  Imagine what would happen if we were to update work orders that were closed; in that scenario, updates would never be seen.  This is why any update to a closed work order will re-open that work order. It ensures that the update gets seen.

-Keith

• 5. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
                  Jamie Colpean

Keith Scarborough   I appreciate that you responded, and apologize that I am missing a thorough understanding of this product design.   Your response is interesting in that it speaks to non-technical reasoning as you have referenced the BMC assumptions made. 

I'm thinking this out...  We probably can all agree that it is technically possible to have Track-it react to certain keywords included in an incoming email, as it already does this.  The imposed limitation to change specific information (Status) is not then a technical one (It already does this 1-way by allowing a CUSTOMER CHOICE of re-opening a closed ticket).  So the point comes down to BMC assumption / generalization to how a customer and it's techs will use the product.  Since there are so many configuration settings available, this appears to be one of the few places where BMC applies this assumption. 

You make the argument that techs are busy enough looking for open tickets let alone closed tickets.  I don't understand how this is relevant.  My techs use many custom views and some do contain recently closed tickets.  The functionality I hope for is one where a status can be updated from an email tag....say....to Close a currently open ticket...and as an added bonus...to be able to recognize a tag such as #Resolution followed by the tech notes which are then injected into the ticket.  I can then create a view of any ticket that was closed in such a manner for me to later go back and update any other information that the customer (us) find valuable. 

You are correct...it is fair assumption that techs are busy.  When I am out on the floor handling multople issues...sending an email reply to the system rather than logging into a UI for Track-IT would speed up the ticket lifespan and further encourage the techs to create more tickets rather than fixinging a problem and not documenting it as a ticket because there are other pressing matters to attend to.

I hope your dev team considers the feature.

• 6. Re: Is there a way change status of a ticket via email
                    Cris Coffey

Seems there was a misunderstanding here. Keith was saying we dont like to update Closed tickets automatically via email, which is true, because the technicians would never see the update. That said, your request to close a ticket automatically based on the content of an email is certainly an interesting enhancement and one we have already considered for the next release. Check out the Developers Circle and I think you will like what you see. :-)