3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 12:29 AM by Jim Wilson

SQL Server Patches

Andreas Khan

Was looking through the pre-canned SQL Services package available in the patch cat and couldn't find any cumulative updates (CU) for SQL server. i.e.   Just looking for confirmation whether they are supported or not in BSA 8.3

An example of a GDR SQL server update would be

SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 GDR

An example of a QFE  would be

SQL Server 2008 Service Pack 3 QFE

• 1. Re: SQL Server Patches
          Mike Jones

I haven't got 8.3 running but in 8.5 it is in the hotfixes as the filename below. (I assume this would have been true before we upgraded from 8.2)

SQLServer2008-KB2977322-x64.exe-MS14-044-en-SQL SERVER 2008 X64-SP3

What filters are set on your patch catalogue ?

• 2. Re: SQL Server Patches
            Andreas Khan

Thanks see those now.

It was in fact also the CU's that I was looking for - and example being:-

• 3. Re: SQL Server Patches
              Jim Wilson

Go to the Cumulative Update URL link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2983175

- Note that there is no option to download the patch, but instead you are given a link to request it "Hotfix Download Available"

- After clicking on the link, you will have to accept the agreement and explicitly select the hot-fix and enter personal  details including a  "captcha"

As it states on that page:

"This helps to ensure that a person, not an automated program, is creating this request. "

We describe such patches as "non-public" and they cannot be delivered by BSA/Shavlik patching feature

To deploy such patches, they have to be:

- Downloaded manually

- Added to the Depot as a Custom Software Object with the correct silent command for install

- Installed using standard Deploy Job